Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from my mobile to a landline won’t always connect and suspicious activity

Julesmo1
Tuning in

HI 

Hoping someone can please help

When I call landlines they show as calling and they are ringing the other end but they just keep saying calling

weirdly I call my parents landline from different places  for example in my car or at home and although says calling I can hear someone else’s conversation 

when it cant connect or to me appears that it hasn’t I can hear a clicking sound

last week I called and some car company automated message kicked in although still saying calling mum and dad on the screen

sometimes it connect

what I have done so far

happens on various landlines

not my phone as checked sim on other phone

Changed sim no luck with virgin sent me

virgin said the mast is ok in the area

done dial assist, changed region

changed roaming to manual didn’t work

please can anyone help it’s driving me bonkers called virgin 6 times but no luck there yet

some other info not sure if helpful landline numbers were displaying not split correctly as  01 23 4 5678 90

now they appear ok 01234 567890 but not sure if this means anything

also if someone calls me and I want to save their number and create a contact with have to put the +44 for it to work 

please help my elderly parents finding it frustrating to answer the phone and I’m it there 

9 REPLIES 9

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Julesmo1,

Welcome to the Community Forums, thanks so much for taking the time to post here for help with your issue.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such trouble when trying to call landline numbers from your mobile, I can imagine this must be especially when trying to call your parents. It is certainly one of the strangest issues I've ever heard of! 

I've also had similar issues when trying to call some numbers from my iPhone where the number dials in an incorrect format and the call fails. If you are using an iPhone, have you tried dialing the landline numbers from the number pad rather than calling through your saved contacts? I've found that whilst this isn't a fix to the original issue, it did work.

Have you also noticed if all the landlines you've been calling have come up in an incorrect format when you've tried calling?

Are you also able to receive calls from landline numbers without any issues?

Do let us know 🙂

Beth

Beth

Hi 

it’s really getting me down now

the screen just says mum and dad and calling underneath 

my mum is answering it from her end 

tried using the dial pad and same problem 

I know what you mean about wrong format as had that years ago and it does cause that issue but the format is correct 

what’s horrible is when someone else answers sometimes a foreign person or a companies voicemail and yet still says mum and dad and calling on my screen 

new sim done and it’s not the phone 

does same thing when I test it calling my own home number 

really need it sorted 

you can hear it clicking when it doesn’t connect my end 

it’s going through to other numbers occasionally and that’s v odd 

they say no problem with the mast but something isn’t working 

Mum just called me few times from her landline and call came through 

kind regards 

Julie 

Thanks for coming back to us Julesmo1,

We can certainly understand your frustration with this issue. Can we just clarify a few more things to rule out its not a phone fault? The only reason we ask is that you phone is calling out on our network (albeit) to other numbers, but this assures us you do have a connection.

Can we ask what handset are you using, Is it an android or iPhone?

Can we also ask that you have the most up to date software on your handset?

What happened when you placed your sim card in another handset? When you called the number manually did it connect to the correct number.

At this moment in time with the information you have provided already it may be a handset fault more than a network fault. 

I have included a link here which I would like you to take a look at, this will give you advice on how to hopefully resolve this issue. 

Please can you confirm the above and check the link.

If you need any further assistance after this, please come back to us.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi 

I can confirm I put the sim in my old iPhone and it did exactly the same thing 

I checked numerous landlines and again it wasn’t connecting just saying calling and yet the number the other end was ringing and on one occasion a foreign person answered 

the number is showing correctly in recent calls 

I even last week did the same thing and put sim in another phone and the same thing 

my phone is an iPhone SE 2020 and has the latest software 

Apple have also checked the phone and there are no faults 

Please continue to help 

I will check the link 

thank you 

Hi @Julesmo1

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to private message you to collect some more details, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Is that it for help now ?. 
I have called2 landlines today and instead of speaking to my solicitor someone from a gardening company answered 

I asked him to read out the number that I called him from and it was a 0114 number not my mobile 

also if someone from the forum asks for my mobile number should I be giving it to them ? Sorry I don’t know what the process is 

Julie 

I always save my numbers in full including the country and area codes even for UK numbers. So:

020 8123 4567 is saved as +44 20 8123 4567.

07123 456789 is saved as +44 123 456789.

Note: spaces added for ease of understanding.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I do that already 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI Julesmo1,

I can see Travis has sent you a PM on this, can you please reply so we can assist.

Thanks,

Zoie