Menu
fidders3288
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Blacklisting IMEI of Lost Phone

I lost my iPhone over a week ago and am trying to claim on my house insurance. In order to do so I need the IMEI to be blacklisted. Last week I made 3 calls to Virgin only to be told that they could not do it as I purchased the phone from a third party (Apple). Having spoken to Apple, my insurance company, EE (my previous service provider) and having researched this online it is apparent that I was lied to by Virgin. I rang for a 4th time on Saturday and was told the same thing until I lost my rag, then there was an immediate about turn and the representative said that she would fill in a form to get the phone blacklisted within 24 hours. It is now Wednesday and the phone has not yet been blacklisted. I am at the end of my tether, can anybody please help?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blacklisting IMEI of Lost Phone

Here is VM's official help file on what to do when a phone is stolen. It is clear that VM could block your IMEI number but only if they know it. Do they? They didn't sell you the phone and will have no record of it therefore.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-lost-and-stolen-mobile-phone

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
fidders3288
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. The woman I spoke to on Saturday took it in order to submit her form. This was only after 3 separate members of staff swore blind that there was nothing they could do as I didn’t buy the phone from Virgin. There is clearly either a training issue or an honesty issue!

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are able to add a IEMI note (only they can see) for 3rd party phones on their system for blacklisting.

But getting it added after the phone is missing/stolen is most probably a different story.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi fidders3288,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our forums page.

Very sorry to hear you have been having trouble getting this resolved. I would need some more details from you to be able to look into this for you.

I will send you a PM with the details I would need, if you can reply to that, I will be more thank happy to help.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
dabelscroft
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey - I'm having the same issue - need an iPhone that was stolen to be blacklisted.  Virgin have sent a new sim, but still haven't blacklisted the phone despite numerous requests!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi dabelscroft

Thank you for posting on our community forum pages. 

We are sorry to hear that your mobile was stolen.

So that we can help we'll need to get some additional details.

We'll send you a private message in a moment so that we can gather some information.

Many thanks. 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
simpsonk
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I’m getting the same bad service from VMob as others. Virgin cannot provide proof the have added the imei to be blacklisted. My insurance company keep saying it’s not blacklisted and to put pressure on vm. I’m piggy in the middle and once this is sorted out, I’m gonna leave them. My insurance company said they are known for this and are the only service provider not to blacklist on the national database. Frustrated is not the word.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi simpsonk,

Thanks for posting and I am sorry for the experience you've had with the mobile blacklisting. 

Have you managed to speak to our team regarding this since posting? If not, please let me know and I can assist further. 

Kind regards,

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
fidders3288
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin customer services (so-called) were absolutely useless when I dealt with them, constantly insisting that they couldn’t blacklist the IMEI and telling me to get in touch with Apple as that is where I bought the phone. It was only when I posted on this forum that someone from Virgin in the UK got involved and resolved the issue pretty swiftly. It’s disappointing to see you experiencing the same problems, Virgin appear to have learned nothing 

0 Kudos