Menu
Highlighted
Simonw2008
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Band 20 800mhz

Virgin keep telling me that they do provide 4g over band 20 800mhz but I never get a connection on this frequency. My wife uses BT Mobile, who also use EE, and she gets band 20 when I get nothing. The problem follows the Virgin Sim if we swap and BT in my phone works fine. Has anyone else experienced this? It's a pain because the remote sites we go to in our motorhome often only get 800 MHz 4g as it travels further than the higher frequencies.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Band 20 800mhz

Virgin do not have access of EE's band 20, that has been kept just for EE/BT sims 😞

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No they don't have access to EE's band 20. The same goes for other networks that run on EE with the exception of BT.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Simonw2008
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry not being arsy, but how do you know this for 100% sure please? I put in an official complaint about this and they say they do, so I need to be 100% sure of my facts before I go to OFCOM.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

100% sure, but can't prove in writing anywhere.

Just the EE/BT pay monthly SIM's have the access which also ties in their VoLTE service.  Even their PAYG SIM's do not have access to band 20.

https://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just added a link in above post 🙂

0 Kudos
Simonw2008
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks - its what I suspected. I checked with their sales chat before I bought, they said they support band 20, and after I got it I've been onto their SMS chat and phoned tech support and they all say they do. So I put in a complaint - they gave me a months subs free but are adamant they support band 20. I'll let you know how I get on with OFCOM 🙂

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

All the years I had a Virgin SIM, I did not get a connection to band 20 once in the UK - only when roaming abroard.

0 Kudos
Simonw2008
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re the 4g.co.uk page you send - I had checked with 4g.co.uk and found that page - but on another page @ https://www.4g.co.uk/virgin-mobile-4g-coverage-network-summary/ it said they do support 800. I emailed 4g.co.uk a while ago to tell them they had conflicting information and it looks as though they have now changed the page to say Virgin don't offer 800.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have a campervan and travel a lot to out of the way places.

Often in these areas the networks mast share. Basically Vodafone and O2 are one share and EE /3 another.

I have found it advantageous for my wife and I to be on different networks so we cover both groups.

Since December I have a dual SIM phone, so the same formula applies

A good standby is 3. Even their PAYG SIMs support Voice over 4G and Wifi Calling, giving you the advantage that even if there is no signal locally, either the campsite WiFi or local pub will allow you to make a call. Similar can be achieved calling over the likes of Whatsapp.. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos