cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Mobile Data Speeds

Cryptocaned
Joining in

Used to get decent speeds, but last year it dropped off a cliff (see attached images).

I used to get through 80GB of data, but I'm struggling to get good enough speeds to:

Get good responses from Google assistant.

Stream music reliably.

Access web pages/load content in a reasonable time.

Screenshot_20230212-180819.png

Screenshot_20230212-193209.png

  

29 REPLIES 29

Just moved to Virgin from plusnet for Wifi calling. Since the move I’ve gone from 120mbps  to at best 7 or 8mbs and at worst 1mbps. I’m not that far away from Widnes over in St Helens, it’s really really bad. Thankfully I settled on a 30 day contract and I will be on my way elsewhere if this can’t be resolved asap.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From experience it's not the best around there.

If you want WiFi Calling and 5G Voxi is a safe bet for Widnes / St Helens

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @proby84 

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about your issue

Have you noticed if this is in certain places or is this just all over your location?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

So far everywhere within a 20 miles radius is the same, good phone signal but terrible transfer speeds.

I’ll never use the data I have! It struggles to stream Apple Music while in the car. It’s not the phone it’s a iPhone 14 pro max and I can put my work sim in it  and get 200mbps.

Hi @proby84 

Thanks for coming back to us. Have you been able to try your SIM in a different handset to see if the issue can be replicated?

Kind regards

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Yes I’ve tried the SIM in another device. The network is massively overloaded by looks. Later on a night I’m lucky to get 15 mbps. It’s sounds from the previous comments it all over the area. It’s a a shame as the Vodafone network Virgin used before was much better. I reported the issue to o2 and they said everything is fine my area. 🤥 

Hi @proby84 

Thanks for coming back to me and confirming. We have taken a look at it from ourside and can see there's a congestion issue which we're working on fixing so it will be better. This will be completed asap.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I appreciate your quick response and honesty. I really hope this can be resolved soon.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

You're very welcome. 

Please do reach out if you have any further questions proby84.

Nat

This happens literally everywhere,

If im driving I have issues with voice commands working with Google, sometime its will say it has no connection but most of the time it will just not respond.
At business' the company I work for support I have issues loading work apps to view tickets.
I have issues at home when im not on wifi getting songs to load much the same as when im driving.
Just all round its kind of bad. I struggle to use near 5GB of data a month, whereas 6 months ago I was using more than 50% of my data cap regularly (100GB cap)

BA11 2RY - Work
BA13 3TP - Home
BA11 3EP - Common work location
BA14 0EP - Relatives House
All places I have issues, there are way more but these are my most common area's.