cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Mobile Data Speeds

Cryptocaned
Joining in

Used to get decent speeds, but last year it dropped off a cliff (see attached images).

I used to get through 80GB of data, but I'm struggling to get good enough speeds to:

Get good responses from Google assistant.

Stream music reliably.

Access web pages/load content in a reasonable time.

Screenshot_20230212-180819.png

Screenshot_20230212-193209.png

  

29 REPLIES 29

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Since last year you will have been moved off the Vodafone network and on to O2.

In many areas O2 is slow because of congestion as there are too many subscribers for the network capacity in that area.

Check https://status.o2.co.uk/ 

Also ask around if anybody on O2, Sky, Tesco or Giffgaff have similar problems in your area

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Well that's excellent and obviously someone put lots of effort into having the move well thought out...

My home address does indeed say it is congested, however I have issues in postcodes (and have clients on O2 that have call issues) that say they have no issues. It's ridiculous.

O2 just keep telling me there is no issue when I've contacted them about the clients issues. Good to know my and their issues are linked.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well, O2 was struggling before over 3 million Virgin Customers came on board. 

Nothing to be done apart from checking out who gives the best coverage and speeds in the places you frequent and then moving when you get the chance.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Well that makes it worse. If their network was already straining who made the decision to dump even more traffic on it.

I'm gunna call and request money off my bill until they can offer the service I pay for. I've also logged a complaint with ofcom.

Hi @Cryptocaned 

Welcome to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear that you're having service and speed issues with you mobile at this time. 

Does this happen in just your home or does you notice this happens in other postcodes and different areas?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cryptocaned wrote:

Well that makes it worse. If their network was already straining who made the decision to dump even more traffic on it.

I'm gunna call and request money off my bill until they can offer the service I pay for. I've also logged a complaint with ofcom.

OFCOM do not deal with individual complaints they only log things for statistical reasons. 

It wasn't a decision to dump. It's Telefónica (Owners of O2) and Liberty Global (Owners of Virgin Media UK) deciding to make a Joint Venture Company VMO2. Both Owners have wanted to sell their respective holdings for some time. What better way than to combine the two, make saving, then flogg the whole thing off as a Quad Player Entity.

I know, but hopefully enough people complain that they look into it (atleast that's what I'm hoping.).

Sunds like a solid business decision made by shareholders. I can barely get my work apps to load.

Hi Cryptocaned 👋 thanks for returning to the thread. 

If you can please let us know about where you are noticing the issues (at home, or in other postcodes) we can then do our best to offer further support. You can check coverage in your area here 👉 Coverage checker | Virgin Media

Let us know how you get on and what is showing for you. 

All the best 🌞

Molly

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With due respect the coverage checker only tells you the strength of signal and not the speed of data

This week I was near Widnes. Plenty of signal but this

Screenshot_20230216_102816_Opensignal.jpg

These are appalling  Thankfully I could change carrier for data.