cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Series 7

Stanl
Dialled in

I have just purchased an Apple Watch Series 7.

Do Virgin mobile have a tariff to cover both my iPhone and watch so I can use either independently of each other.

10 REPLIES 10

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Stanl,

Thank you for your post.

Assuming that you have purchased the GPS + Cellular version of the watch, meaning that you can make calls + texts on the watch without your iPhone, you would need to have an eSIM installed in the watch. Sadly, we no longer offer eSIMs. However we have a great variety of different Pay Monthly SIMs you can use for your mobile if you don't currently have a SIM for it. You can find all of our SIM deals here

So in answer to your question, I'm afraid that we don't offer a plan/SIM to cover both your phone and watch.

Kind regards 

Beth

I already have a Virgin mobile sim and wondered if this would extend to having an eSim plan for my watch which is a GPS + Cellular.

Do you have any idea why they don’t have this facility?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin do have Esim  but only for a narrow range of handsets and not for watches.

I think only Vodafone, EE and O2 support the watch in Esim mode and certainly none of the MNVO operators, of which Virgin in one.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Stanl,

As enlli has correctly stated, we do have eSIMs available for a certain number of handsets but not for watches sadly. It's just not something we offer at the moment.

However we are always looking for ways to improve our services, so please keep an eye on our news for any updates regarding this.

Kind regards

Beth

That is very disappointing to hear.

npinks
Tuning in

certainly is disappointing, that the eSim option does not work with Virgin Mobile, especially when you have teamed up with 02 who do offer it.

Is this something that you think you will upgrade the packages to enable, or is it pie in the sky and you say you keep wanting to improve the services offered and won't

Just about to buy a Series 7 so wanted to have this option, but if its never going to happen, i either leave or save

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@npinks  We don't know the future of Virgin Mobile. If they continue I suspect they will be a cut down version of O2 and if you want the extras (and there are a few things Virgin don't offer) you will have to go to O2.

At the moment it is only EE, Vodafone and O2 who offer support for the watch.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Npinks, this is not something that we would be able to advise of. 

We do not currently know of any plans to introduce this service, and virgin mobile services are undergoing some review following our exciting partnership with O2. 

O2 do support plans for the Applewatch, you can find more info about this here. If you are thinking of taking out a deal with O2 I would suggest getting in touch with them directly. Sadly although we have partnered with O2 we do not have access to their systems and are very limited with what support we can provide for O2 issues. You can find the ways to contact O2 here. 

Let us know if you have any other questions we can support with! 

All the best. 

Molly

tprronnie
On our wavelength

you keep saying virgin don't offer this well be more open say virgin do offer it just not in UK

https://www.virginplus.ca/en/support/setting-up-smartwatch-plan-numbershare-apple-watch.html?provinc...

SETTING UP A SMARTWATCH PLAN WITH NUMBERSHARE ON YOUR APPLE WATCH.

Setting up a Smartwatch plan

If you have an Apple Watch with cellular connectivity, you can connect it to the Virgin Plus network by signing up for a Smartwatch plan with NumberShare™.

This lets you make calls, send messages and stay connected with just your Apple Watch – even when you’re away from your iPhone.

GETTING STARTED

To set up a Smartwatch plan with NumberShare, you’ll need:

• An Apple Watch Series 3 or Series 4 (GPS + Cellular models) and an iPhone 6 or later. The phone must be operating on iOS 11 or later.
  • An Apple Watch Series 5 or later (GPS + Cellular models) and an iPhone 6s or later. The phone must be operating on iOS 13 or later.
  • A Virgin Plus Mobility postpaid plan with data.
  • A My Account profile associated with the primary phone number. Register for My Account if you haven’t already done so.

The Apple Watch with cellular connectivity has an eSIM (a small, built-in SIM card), so you don’t need a separate SIM card.

You’ll be prompted to set up a Smartwatch plan when you first pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone (look for the option to set up cellular). If you don’t set it up right away, you can do it later through the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.

Heads up: Make sure that your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network and has Bluetooth switched on.

STEPS

1. Make sure your iPhone is updated to iOS 12 or later, you’ve registered for My Account and have your username and password ready.
  2. Ensure Bluetooth is turned on and that your iPhone is connected to the Virgin network or Wi-Fi.
  3. Launch the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap Start Pairing.
  4. After Apple Watch pairing is complete, tap Set Up Cellular.
  5. Add the Smartwatch plan for $10/mo.
  6. Enter your My Account username and password.
  7. Continue to follow the prompts on your iPhone to confirm Apple Watch activation on the Virgin network.
  8. To sync all of your available iPhone apps on your Apple Watch tap Install All.
  9. Apple offers more information on setting up cellular on your Apple Watch.

COVERAGE AND ROAMING

Apple Watch cellular connectivity works in Canada where there is VoLTE coverage. International roaming is currently not available.

Outside of VoLTE coverage areas, you can use your smartwatch with Bluetooth.

USING APPLE WATCH WITHOUT YOUR IPHONE NEARBY

If your Apple Watch has a Smartwatch plan with NumberShare, you can use it independently, even if your iPhone is in a different location.

Your iPhone must be turned on in order for your Apple Watch to send and receive text messages, iMessages and email. You can however make and receive calls from your Apple Watch when your iPhone is turned off or out of battery.