cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch 6

Spoony36
Superfast

Hi, I’ve just purchased an Apple Watch 6 but in the mobile data settings of the Watch it says virgin is not supported.

Is this the case and I have to take out another package with 02 or someone?

I can make calls etc so not sure what I’m missing out on.

I’m on a Ultimate Oomph sim with a iPhone 13 pro max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Spoony36

Thanks for coming back to us. You don't need a SIM card for the watch. It will use the connection on the handset. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Spoony36

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having an issue with your Apple Watch. 

Is the Watch connected to a mobile over bluetooth?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi 

Yes it is, does that mean I don’t need a sim for the Watch?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The bit you're missing is that the Apple Watch with a supported airtime plan can be used when it's not connected to WiFi or to your phone via Bluetooth.

That's not something Virgin Mobile offer at the moment. O2 do but there may be restrictions depending on where you bought the watch from.

If you don't need that then you aren't losing out.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Hi Spoony36

Thanks for coming back to us. You don't need a SIM card for the watch. It will use the connection on the handset. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Dennismum
Joining in

If I have an ultimate oomph sim (O2) can I activate my cellular I watch to use with it? I’ve been waiting ages for virgin to support I watch. Now they’ve teamed with O2 is this now possible?

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Dennismum

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

In order for us to assist further, can you please confirm if you have the Oomph SIM or a SIM with O2 on Volt?

If the SIM is with O2 on Volt, you will need to speak to O2 directly regarding the compatibility with your watch. 

If the SIM is one that you have received from ourselves, let us know and we will be happy to look into this further. 

Thanks 

Nat

Hi Nat

its an oomph sim (just waiting for it to arrive as the other one didn’t work)  the previous one was a virgin sim but they ask if it’s a virgin or O2 so I’m thinking maybe they are sending me an O2 ? Very confusing but it’s an unlimited sim we got with our oomph bundle 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can only get an eSIM for the Apple watch if you are an O2 customer as the extra cost has to be added to your O2 bill.

The only network that support the watch in Cellular mode are O2, EE and Vodafone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you Dennismum. 

You will be able to make calls from the watch as long as you are connected to the handset via Bluetooth. 

Please let us know how you get on when the new SIM arrives. 

Thanks 

Nat