cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Trade in issue

Topweb
Tuning in

I bought two new phones in the last year and got an E-mail offering me an ADDITONAL £100 if I traded in my old phone. Great I thought, let's do it.

I went to the Brightstar website and entered the details of my Iphone 4, Value £0 so I applied the promo code I had been sent and the offer went up to £100.

Elected to print the label myself and went to the post office, the label did not work, not a Royal mail label.

I returned home and selected "Reprint Label" and this time it looked correct and success at the post office.

My phone was delivered on the 4th August, but on the 10th the Brightstar website displayed "we are waiting for your device" and the Offer was still £100.

I contacted by E-mail and was told it could not be found, a few days later was told as the phone had no value I was not due anything.

I replied £0 + £100 =£100 as the promo code gave me an ADDITIONAL £100

More E-mails and I sent the IMEI and eventually it was found but a new offer was created WITHOUT the Promo code so no money paid out.

I rang and spoke to a nice guy who could see what has happened and I was told he would send a message to a supervisor to get the £100 paid.

I e-mailed for confirmation of this and got a reply

"Good morning,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can see the promo amount was been applied onto the order. 

Do not hesitate to contact me if I can help any further.

Kind Regards
Chris

Brightstar Trade-in Support"

What worries me now is when I attempt to login to Brightstar to see the status of the quote /s all I get is an error page. 

brightstar.jpg

3 Working days to process the payment, we will see if it works out.

9 REPLIES 9

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Topweb,

Many thanks for your recent post. I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've been having with your recent Trade In experience. Just to confirm, have all these interactions been with Bright Star themselves?

Also which day did you receive this latest email?

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi,

The last E-mail I got was on the 20th Aug so yesterday.

The entire conversation has been with virgintradein.uk@brightstar.com

except for the initial trade in offer with promo code which came from email@em.virginmedia.com

The phone call I made was to  Brightstar customer services.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Topweb,

Thanks for your reply. The team over at Bright Star will be dealing with this at this stage.

If you have not received anything following the 3 working day time frame given and would like further advice, please drop back and we'll do out best to advise.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Problem solved, after another e-mail this morning telling me the warehouse team had to find it and me replying they already had the payment was made.

Hi @Topweb,

Sorry for any inconvenience that you faced with this, but I'm glad to hear that this matter has now been resolved.

Please do feel free to reach back out to us on the forums if you need our help again in the future.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Here is my resolution

I bought a phone on December 15th 2021. I amazingly get an email, stating that I would get an "extra £100" for trading in my old device. "Woohoo" you think.
Think wrong.

Here comes the most inept deflections, lies, decit you have ever seen.
The email
Virgin email.png
I click the link and enter my phone. Value of device £0. Fine. Enter promotional code. £40 ??

First Virgin rep said they don't provide the promotional codes, Brightstar do.
I phone Brightstar. Rebranded to Likewize.
They tell me that they do not provide promotional codes. Virgin do. Still on the phone, I gave him the promotional code for proof. We did different phones (including an iPhone 13), yet the outcome of the promotional value was the same. £40.

Back to Virgin. Firstly I am told it will go to "Escalation" and to wait a couple of days. A week later, I have to call them back.
Apparently, this never happened (!). No notes that it was going to escalation ..... AT ALL
OK. Start again. " weeks ago, I finally get through to the UK end. This is where I have had the most fun on a phone call.

VM "The promotion is 'up to £100' "
Me "The email states and 'extra' and 'additional' £100"
VM "It's in the terms and conditions it's 'up to £100' "
Me "OK. Hold on, let me check ................................ Nothing on the email about 'up to £100', nothing on your own site about the promotion being 'up to £100'. The email states an EXTRA £100. Then it says ADDITIONAL"
-- On hold for 5 minutes
VM "I can see we're not going to get anywhere with this. My manager says we can give you £30 credit"
Me "So £40 promotional value .... and £30 credit ...... is £100?. My email states £100. You are GIVING me £100. Not up to. Not a sliding scale. Do you know about Trading Standards?"
VM "So you are not accepting the offer I have given you?"
Me "Seems it's not an offer. It's an insult. You offer me £100, then take it away and make out you are doing me a favour by giving me less?"

Manager rings me back 5 minutes later. "We'll put it through to complaints and you'll hear back in a couple of days."

A WEEK later, no call email, anything.
2 hours on the phone and a first line rep tells me that I should receive a deadlock letter by email in the 'next couple of days'
Deadlock letter? Why? It's not a deadlock. A deadlock is when 2 parties do not agree. In this case, I have undeniable proof of what you offered me and you, and ONLY YOU, do not agree with it.

OK, so that deadline comes and goes. So I ring up this morning
VM "You should have your Deadlock Letter"
Me "No email or link by text"
VM "You should have got a letter"
Me "Would I have some sort of fetish to ring you up and listen to the constant repetition of Ed Sheeran's Shivers if I had received a letter?"
VM "Well, we sent it"
Me "Do me a favour, send it by email to me. This gives me a paper trail"
VM "OK. That will get to you within 3 to 5 working days"
Me "I give up ......"

So ..... after legal advice over the last few weeks, we are now at this stage:
1. Ofcom. For the preposterous use, and misrepresentaion, of 'terms and conditions' and the rep's allegations of something represented in 'terms and conditions', when it most clearly isn't.
15 hours and 23 minutes on the phone to every single rep that has lied to me about this case, will now have a charge plus an invoice to it

2. Trading Standards. To all the Virign Mods on here. READ THAT EMAIL I posted. I don't have to say anything else. Trading Standards say it quite succinctly on their own site:

Regulations that affect advertising

Advertising to consumers

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you cannot mislead or harass consumers by, for example:

• including false or deceptive messages
  • leaving out important information
  • using aggressive sales techniques

Read ‘The consumer protection from unfair trading regulations’ for the rules on advertising legally."

All I have ever said on this subject was to give me what you offered. A £100 promotional code and I'd be happy. Unfortuately, for some unbeknown reason, to anyone with an ounce of common sense, you refuse to do so. 

Hello SiRowley

It's disappointing to hear of the experience regarding your mobile and offer, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

From what you have advised this has followed our complaints process and been passed for deadlock, these are issued via letter and allow you take your complaint for imdependent adjudication with CISAS as explained here it would also mean we aren't able to discuss this with you further I'm afraid.

If you decide to take this to CISAS they will investigate this and liaise with us directly and any recommendations they make or determine are binding to both parties.

Rob

That's wonderful advice.
There's always a 'but'

I'll happily go to CISAS, when I have received the deadlock letter.
I was told two weeks ago that you had 'sent it'. Which didn't arrive. 
I asked on Monday to send me the letter. 3-5 days was said on the phone. Guess what? It's Friday and I have no deadlock letter. For God's sakes, just send me the letter by email. It can take 3-5 secs

Am I shocked? No
Would you like to look into this for me? Oh, sorry, you're not allowed to speak to me

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SiRowley

I am so sorry to hear that you have not received the deadlock letter yet, I would like to apologise for the frustration and stress caused. You can phone or email CISAS for further advice on the correct procedure when you have not received a deadlock letter:

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Serena