cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Sim card replacement due to failure to "Sending an update to my SIM"

alaaeddinemazo
Tuning in

Hello,

So I had a whole problem with my Sim card not working due to this whole failure to update while I am abroad, it was a huge hassle as I rely on it for much of my work and my online activities, I requested help here and eventually it was decided that the best course of action was to have the new 'updated' card be sent to an acquaintance in the UK who in turn would send it to me, and that was carried out, it took some time and required some expenses, but I finally received the new sim around early August.

Not two weeks later, today, I receive an email saying this

"We recently tried to update your network services so you can use your mobile while travelling outside of the UK, but unfortunately it didn’t work. This might be because your phone was switched off when we sent the update to your SIM.
We’ve tried sending you a text so you can order a new SIM, but we haven’t had a reply. So you know, if you plan to travel abroad without an updated SIM, your roaming services will no longer work from 1st October 2021."

My phone was never switched off, So  I need to have this clarified for me by some staff, without a shadow of doubt and just straightforward, is it possible to use a virgin sim abroad with out having to jump through these unreasonable hoops over and over again?  is this just a workaround to force people to stop using their sim cards abroad for extended periods of time?

I need to know so I can either try to solve this yet again, or just move on from Virgin and get a new number so I can stop worrying about these huge problems.

6 REPLIES 6

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've escalated this to the team

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Welcome back to the community @alaaeddinemazo and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

I have been able to locate your account and can see that the update has now taken place on your sim card and all the settings are showing as correct to use going forward from October 1st. 

Regards,

Steven_L

iancohen
On our wavelength

Hi Steven,
I have a similar problem. Yesterday I received the exact same email as above.
I have THREE Virgin sims in my family ( my own, my wife's and my daughter )
The email did not specify which exact sim/phone number Virgin had tried to update network services for.

Right now, we are living abroad, and especially with Covid restrictions, we do not have the ability to return to England to switch over our sims.
I should point out that we have relatively new sims , which we switched around 2 years ago!

All 3 phones are now switched on, and connected to a network.
I can leave them this way for as long as is needed.
I am particularly dependent on incoming SMS messages for banking purposes, so I cannot have down time with one of the numbers in particular.
We also use all 3 sims when traveling in Europe.

Could I please ask you to try and update my network services again?
All 3 numbers belong to the same account ( which is linked to my email address - the same address I am using here )

I will send you the numbers if you cannot locate them.
For security reasons, I chose not to write them here.

Perhaps I will send them in a private message

Many thanks

Ian Cohen

Hey @iancohen,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us here.

I will be happy to look into this for you but haven't been able to locate your account via your community profile, we will need to pass account security and then we can get this looked into further for you.

Please look out for my private message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

My wife has a monthly plan sim and she also got these messages, and is also unable to return to UK at this time.

1. I note a subsequent sim update worked, but only verified by the Forum Team. Is there a way a user can check sim update status?

2. If a replacement sim is sent via family from UK, will the sim be enabled successfully in Spain?

Thanks in advance

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ZiggyD, I'm sorry to hear your wife has encountered this issue with her SIM whilst abroad.

As long as the SIM is in the UK when it's activated then it will be correctly provisioned to work outside the UK from that point. We can arrange for a replacement to be sent to you or another family member who can forward it on to your wife.

So we can get this arranged I'll contact you via PM - just look out for the purple envelope and we'll take it from there.

Tom