Menu
Highlighted
Megamart
Settling in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Adult Restriction - Stop Restricting Me, I'm an Adult

I get an e-mail from Flavourly, the beer company.  I go to their website - or rather I try to - and I get:

Adult Restriction

To protect our under 18 users, this content has been restricted. If you want to view this content simply register or log into Your Account at virginmobile.co.uk/youraccount on your PC and select parental control so we can verify your age.

I do that, turn it off and it doesn't help.

I wait 24 hours and still no dice.

I call support, speak to first line support, who pass me to second line support, who pass me to Sales(!) who pass me back to first line support who promise it will be fixed in a few hours.

It isn't.

Next day I call back and this time I'm told it hadn't been set it inactive but now has been and will be fixed in 15 minutes.

It isn't.

So I am here. Still restricted and beerless.

In twenty-four hours I will cancel my contract with Virgin Mobile and take another one with EE instead who do seem to actually have a clue.  I have spent over an hour on the phone talking to five different people at VM, none of whom have resolved what would appear to be a very simple problem. 

Is VM always this incompetent, or did I just get lucky?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adult Restriction - Stop Restricting Me, I'm an Adult

Lets just put it this way. You didnt get lucky.

Organisations that come between a man/woman/gender neutral and their beer do so at their peril. Might be time for a change methinks.

<edit>

You ARE on mobile data yeah? If you are on WiFi its your main VM account preferences need changed....

0 Kudos
Megamart
Settling in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Agreed.  These are desperate times.

Yes, I have just signed up for the £20/100GB SIM-only deal, but can see me heading over to EE for the £20/40GB deal if it lets me actually connect to websites (and order beer).

Megamart.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just a check that the phone has been turned off and back on after the Parental Control was turned off?.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Megamart
Settling in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You Sir (or Madam) are a Gent (or Lady).

The SIM is actually in a 4G router so turning it off involved briefly losing a lot of home automation, but it was worth it as that did indeed solve the problem.

Thanks.  A shame none of the five support people I spoke to sugested that.

Megamart.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

Just a check that the phone has been turned off and back on after the Parental Control was turned off?.

LOL, nice one teabag, didnt even register on my radar.

teabag
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

@teabag wrote:

LOL, nice one teabag, didnt even register on my radar.

lol. Just one of those things you don't forget after being caught out yourself 😉

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
bejb
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yep, turning the parental control off and then rebooting the router did it for us too. 

My adult daughter got a Bravissimo voucher (https://www.bravissimo.com/) which is female underwear and swimsuits. It was blocked by the adult filter! (We are using the Black Friday 200Gb for £20/month in a Huawei B618 router for our home wifi service - works an absolute treat apart from content blocking!).

So I turned the filter off and it made no difference. I saw all the posts reporting this problem on this forum and my heart sank.

As a last ditch desperate effort I rebooted it - problem solved! They really need to put something on their admin page to tell people to turn off and on again to change the filtering!

0 Kudos