cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

789 calls will not connect from outside UK

dandecay
On our wavelength

I have a pay as you go contract with Virgin UK. I am in the USA but when I dial 789 I am told that call cannot be connected, or else it just cuts out before going through. I can receive calls and send text messages. Why will my call not be connected when I dial 789?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Short code numbers are not recognised when abroad, and certainly whenever I've tried it, even non-geographic numbers like 0345 or 0800 wouldn't work, although it's possible that has changed.  I'd suggest you try texting VM Mobile on 07533 016 422

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The number to ring given by Virgin is +44 7458 333 789 but this won't be free and as you are on PAYG it's £2.00 per minute to make a call. Your text messages are 50p

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

dandecay
On our wavelength

Thanks for the replies. When I have called 789 in the past (I am in the USA) it has immediately connected and I have been able to get an account  balance and/or talk to a Virgin representative. Just a few weeks ago I called 789 from New Jersey and it worked immediately. However, I am now in Phoenix Arizona and the 789 number will not connect (whereas it always did in the past). I called Virgin (via my Skype account yesterday) and the representative said that he did not know why 789 would not connect as it should have, maybe it was the network being used. 

So, have Virgin suddenly changed their modus operandi with regards to dialing 789 from a pay- as -you -go phone when in the USA?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only thing I know regarding Virgin and PAYG is the announcement it is being phased out from mid October.

Shouldn't change things in the meantime though.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

So, have Virgin suddenly changed their modus operandi with regards to dialing 789 from a pay- as -you -go phone when in the USA?

Complete guess, but perhaps it depends on the local telephone operator and their setup?

dandecay
On our wavelength

The date they gave me yesterday for the discontinuation was the 16th of January 2022. I need a UK mobile number whilst out of the UK so I guess that I will be forced to take out a basic SIM only monthly contract in order to receive those codes that are needed when logging in to banks, etc. When I do this, though, it would be useful to be able to use that 789 number!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think if I had to change and visited the USA I would go with Three who include it in roam like home

@dandecay

They have changed my service in non-EU Europe to have exactly the same problem as you for non-working 789 calls.  Eventually I found a landline number to call (NOT free) where they were unaware of the issue (first agent) and then very cagey (second agent). 

Net result: this appears to be a permanent issue, perhaps linked to the rundown of their PAYG service.

@dandecay

To follow up on my earlier reply, I have just spent a long (!!) time on Virgin Media webchat to try to get a definitive answer to this issue.

They have confirmed that the (free) 789 service no longer works outside of the UK and EU Europe.

The alternative they suggest is to use +44 7458 333 789 (at £1.20 per minute!!) or go onto the webchat and they will try to answer any query that you have (my advice: only go on the webchat when you have a lot of time to spare and bundles of patience!). 

Hope this helps.