cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

NealR38
Tuning in

I have recently changed my sim only to the new 5G sim only card that Virgin Mobile provide. I live in an area where 5G is available and I have confirmed this by using there map coverage on the mobile app. But I still cannot pick up 5G. It still says 4G or 4G+. I have a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G handset and it is all up to date with the newest software. So I am unsure to why 5G is not available. Can anyone help please before I have to spend 4 hours on the phone or live chat and still get no positive outcome. 

54 REPLIES 54

All the settings on the phone are set correctly for 5G.
I have had walks around my area to see if that made any difference but again no luck
Have reset the Network settings and not made any difference also did a full reset and again made no difference.
Used several apps including one called Samsung band selection which allows you to select individula network type and still nothing.
Cellmapper doesn't show NR at all

In the Samsung Band selection you can select all the NR bands and as soon as these are set the network disappears
Does anyone know anything about 5G/NR MSTC?

So the last update.
Managed to find a mast and connected onto 5G straight away with high speeds.
So the coverage map on the virgin website is bogus as it is still showing the Vodafone coverage, which is obviously now obsolete, especially as the mast I connected to was from O2
So no issue with the phone or the SIM just have to wait until more masts are implemented

Thanks for the update Wholovzya,

Hopefully there will be the availability of 5G coverage in the local area as soon as possible

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Vodafone and O2 often share masts. Virgin only use Vodafone for 5G and will not be using O2 for some time yet, so Virgin using Vodafone coverage checker is correct.

Sounds like you were connected to a 4G mast using Dynamic Spectrum Sharing which can share 4G spectrum with 5G when called upon to do so. I had 5G the other day on 2100Mhz again DSS. There are very few  3.5GHz masts about.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks