cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

NealR38
Tuning in

I have recently changed my sim only to the new 5G sim only card that Virgin Mobile provide. I live in an area where 5G is available and I have confirmed this by using there map coverage on the mobile app. But I still cannot pick up 5G. It still says 4G or 4G+. I have a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G handset and it is all up to date with the newest software. So I am unsure to why 5G is not available. Can anyone help please before I have to spend 4 hours on the phone or live chat and still get no positive outcome. 

54 REPLIES 54

All the phone operators have coverage maps on their websites.

For instance, Vodafone is here https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I go a touch deeper than the coverage checker 😄

The Giggitty 1

True, but unless you know the exact locations where the user is going to be, and the construction of the local buildings, you will only be able to give a general idea. The published maps will certainly show whether or not he is wasting his time looking for 5G coverage.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

However top and bottom of it being very likely a Virgin issue with them dragging their feet for 5G customers... 

Guess I'm bitter 

There's a bit more to it than that with Vodafone's 5G network....

Using postcode I can determine if they are likely to be connected to a non 5G mast even though covered by a 5G one.

Vodafone doesn't have intra-node ENDC enabled in all locations yet, and this can lead to 5G not connecting when a device chooses an alternative mast for 4G service.

Other networks do allow 5G to connect even if the users device is using a different 4G mast to the one the 5G is emitting from.

The Giggitty 1

And of course ALL the networks are building/changing rapidly, so it's very much a moving picture.  It would be rather unwise to make any long-term buying decisions on the network coverage today.

- jpeg1

@jpeg1 wrote:

And of course ALL the networks are building/changing rapidly, so it's very much a moving picture.  It would be rather unwise to make any long-term buying decisions on the network coverage today.

They certainly are, and as someone who is testing networks currently I can say things are very up and down, and changes are happening nearly daily.

The current state of 5G is all due to change soon with new licensing and allocations being finalized and the operation models of networks is also now set to change AGAIN with a change of heart between certain operators.

The Giggitty 1

It's also worth bearing in mind that current mobiles run down the battery a lot quicker when connected to 5G. Unless the extra speed is really needed it's more efficient to stay connected  to 4G.

- jpeg1

@jpeg1 wrote:

It's also worth bearing in mind that current mobiles run down the battery a lot quicker when connected to 5G. Unless the extra speed is really needed it's more efficient to stay connected  to 4G.

Oh right ?

Can't say I've noticed much difference to be honest.

Suppose it depends on the phone or the firmware really,

I don't run stock, or Googled rom's so my battery tends to last a long longer than most.

The Giggitty 1

That's certainly the case with my Samsung Note 20 Ultra.  The battery is noticeably lower at the end of the day if it's been on 5G.

- jpeg1