cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

NealR38
Tuning in

I have recently changed my sim only to the new 5G sim only card that Virgin Mobile provide. I live in an area where 5G is available and I have confirmed this by using there map coverage on the mobile app. But I still cannot pick up 5G. It still says 4G or 4G+. I have a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G handset and it is all up to date with the newest software. So I am unsure to why 5G is not available. Can anyone help please before I have to spend 4 hours on the phone or live chat and still get no positive outcome. 

54 REPLIES 54

Thats brilliant. I knew the airport had the 5G capability and with having new masts erected at the Cornishman shops. You would think they would of already had it planned for them to produce 4G and 5G signals at the same time. But thank your help in this matter and also behind the scenes with talking to Vodafones bosses to help fix this issue. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is like anything new. My first phone was analogue running on Cellnet. We then had digital running on 900Mhz followed by Orange and T-Mobile on 1800Mhz. Come the day there was 3G and eventually 4G.

At all of these stages coverage was patchy to say the least, particularly as they often required new infrastructure. Anyone joing in the early days of the development will have experienced some problems and disruption.

5G is a bit different in that, although extra infrastructure is required it is nowhere near on the scale as in the past and I'm expecting this roll out to be quicker.

For most handset users having 4G or 5G will not make much of a difference. I certainly can do all I want to on 4G when I'm out, and my WiFi at home is good. Even if my WiFi is down, 4G still allows me to do most things. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@NealR38 wrote:

Thats brilliant. I knew the airport had the 5G capability and with having new masts erected at the Cornishman shops. You would think they would of already had it planned for them to produce 4G and 5G signals at the same time. But thank your help in this matter and also behind the scenes with talking to Vodafones bosses to help fix this issue. 

If its not too much trouble could you get a picture of the new masts at the shops and post them here I could get an idea if this is for Vodafone or other operators.

The Giggitty 1

When I am next out at the shops. I will take a picture if them and post the pictures. 

Hi @NealR38

Thank you so much for your post and for you offer to take pictures for our community, we really appreciate you taking the time to help other forum members! 

Can I ask if you have now sorted the issue with your mobile coverage or do you still need assistance? 

Hello Ash. I think if we all help out in the best way we can. They matters can be addressed from all angles. Yes, I do believe I may be possibly all sorted now. As if it is a Mast and technology issue. Then there is nothing else no one can do until my nearest Mast has been updated etc. But thank you for the offer to help. 

Thank you very much for your response, and I do think you're quite right 🙂

No problem at all, if you do require any further assistance please don't hesitate to post back and either myself or another agent will help as best we can.

Thats brilliant. Thank you. 

ItsJamieLike
On our wavelength

Did you ever get connected in the end? 

I had a similar issue bought a device when promised 5G once available and now it's here I've been told I can't access it and I need to buy out my contract to move to 5G. Again with a note 20 ultra. 

Could you share a postcode or send me a message so I can have a look at area and work out coverage and likely issue.

The Giggitty 1