cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

JonB65
Tuning in

I’ve had a very good value 4G contract for a couple of years on an iPhone 11.

I’ve just upgraded to an iPhone 13 Pro and I thought I’d try a 5G contract so I upgraded. This is quite a bit more expensive. I’m not actually getting 5G and I’ve read threads that suggest it is the switch across parent carrier that is the issue. It might be some time before I get 5G. Given the difference in price, I’m disappointed it wasn’t made clear this might be an issue.

Is there a way I can get what I paid for or only have to pay for a 4G contract.

25 REPLIES 25

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is there 5G in your locality? It is nowhere near universal coverage.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It should be here and certainly the end of our street. I’ve been into the city centre to check and I’ve monitored it on the motorway where the coverage tends to show lots of areas of good coverage.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yeh I'm supposed to have it on the top road but no chance. (I'm Vodafone propper) City Centre is fine as is the local retail park. Never tried when driving

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi JonB65 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I am really sorry that 5G does not appear to be available in your home and a lot of your surrounding area.  In regards to when you're monitoring and finding 'lots of good coverage' is your handset then connecting to 5G?

Regards

Lee_R

@Lee_R wrote:

Hi JonB65 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I am really sorry that 5G does not appear to be available in your home and a lot of your surrounding area.  In regards to when you're monitoring and finding 'lots of good coverage' is your handset then connecting to 5G?

Regards

Lee_R

I think you misunderstood, I don’t get 5G anywhere, not in the city centre where there is definitely coverage reported, not on the motorways where the coverage map shows there should be good coverage and not at the end of our street where coverage is shown.  At home is less of an issue as I use WiFi but it would be useful when my Virgin Media Broadband is down when I work from home and I use my phone as a hotspot.

I specifically upgraded to get 5G, in fact I’m paying more than my 4G for basically the same amount of data.

JonB65

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maybe a stupid question but is 5G selected in your network types?

Sorry for any confusion JonB65.  

This was what I was trying to clarify. I am guessing that you've selected 5G on your handset for network types?

Regards

Lee_R

@Lee_R wrote:

Sorry for any confusion JonB65.  

This was what I was trying to clarify. I am guessing that you've selected 5G on your handset for network types?

Regards

Lee_R

Yes, iPhone 13 Pro. Settings-Mobile Data-Mobile Data Options-5G Auto, I’ve tried it with “5G on” at home as well.

Hi JonB65, 

Thanks for confirming that for us. 

The message above made it sound as though you may have been getting 5G out and about which is why Lee needed to clarify things with you. 

I know you've mentioned you've tried with 5G on at home but have you tried it with 5G on when out and about too? Does this produce any different results? 

When you changed to the 5G plan, you should have received a new SIM card. Are you using this or still using the older SIM card?

Let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs