cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

NealR38
Tuning in

I have recently changed my sim only to the new 5G sim only card that Virgin Mobile provide. I live in an area where 5G is available and I have confirmed this by using there map coverage on the mobile app. But I still cannot pick up 5G. It still says 4G or 4G+. I have a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G handset and it is all up to date with the newest software. So I am unsure to why 5G is not available. Can anyone help please before I have to spend 4 hours on the phone or live chat and still get no positive outcome. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

paulchambers061
Problem sorter

You need to check that you are now on a Vodafone signal. You can do this...

Settings -> connections -> mobile networks -> network operators -> select manually.

If EE appears on the list you will be on Vodafone and 5g ready.

If Vodafone appears you are still on EE and not 5g ready.

Select virgin from the list to re-register on virgin anyway.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

54 REPLIES 54

paulchambers061
Problem sorter

You need to check that you are now on a Vodafone signal. You can do this...

Settings -> connections -> mobile networks -> network operators -> select manually.

If EE appears on the list you will be on Vodafone and 5g ready.

If Vodafone appears you are still on EE and not 5g ready.

Select virgin from the list to re-register on virgin anyway.

Thank you for your reply. I have done as you have suggested to see if this will make any difference. It has not yet. But I will wait a little longer. If no joy, I will contact the Virgin Mobile team. Thanks again for your help. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is becoming obvious that Vodafone's coverage maps are more than a little optimistic. I'm Vodafone direct and that seems the case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The thing with Vodafone's 5G is that it only works if your connected to the same 4G mast that 5G broadcasts from, it seems that many places where coverage maps show the 5G coverage have other 4G masts in them and once a device switches to that 4G mast the 5G although still in range isn't able to connect.

Three on the other hand have intra-node ENDC enabled so 5G from other masts can connect whilst 4G is provided by another, I'm waiting for a response from networks director to confirm what the official stance is regarding intra-node connections.

I'm also starting to look into potential restrictions around 5G areas using DSS rather than NSA on Band N78.

It seems that currently Vodafone is using DSS largely in the South East of UK, I would ask anybody struggling to get 5G connected to leave a postcode in order to pass information along.

The Giggitty 1

UPDATE

This evening I have received an updated and confirmation that ENDC (intra-node) isn't yet activated automatically at sites, however there is development in progress to enable automation methods to identify and enable sites where 5G coverage is possible.

It has been added that "they will be shortly enabling a lot more sites manually so coverage for 5G should be usable by many more sites soon.

The Giggitty 1

Thank you all for the responses to my query. I do hope they do as you have said. Do to the fact that I am paying for the 5G service and not receiving it. Due to the map coverage Virgin Mobile provide. So they do need to put in writing beforehand to explain the situation about how the map works etc. 

As far as contracts go you don't pay for 5G its merely a delivery method, though also handy tool to suck people in.

If you wish to share a postcode and your phone make and model I can try advise a location to test 5G near you.

The Giggitty 1

M22 1JD and my handset is a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G. 

So your issue like many others is due to the connections between 4G and 5G not being at the same mast location.

By this I mean, the 5G signal covering your area is coming from a mast over at the Airport, but your local 4G mast which is closer is based outside The Cornishman Pub and isn't 5G enabled.

As mentioned above, I've been speaking to Vodafone's Head of Network Radio & Performance and he assure me they are working to bring features to eligible masts that will allow connection of 5G from other masts whilst using another 4G mast.

@JitteryPinger wrote:

UPDATE

This evening I have received an updated and confirmation that ENDC (intra-node) isn't yet activated automatically at sites, however there is development in progress to enable automation methods to identify and enable sites where 5G coverage is possible.

It has been added that "they will be shortly enabling a lot more sites manually so coverage for 5G should be usable by many more sites soon.

As for finding coverage, as mentioned the Airport is enabled 5G area, as is the Roundthorn Business Estate, area of Gatley and Heald Green.

The Giggitty 1