cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G no internet access iPhone 12

Ess21
Joining in

Hi. I have an iPhone 12 with up to date iOS but 5G is utterly useless. I can’t access the internet at any time that my phone says I’m connected, despite full bars showing. Is there a fix for this? It’s absurd that I can be in the middle of a city and lose web access because my phone has connected to 5G.
Thanks. 

13 REPLIES 13

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ess21,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm really sorry to hear you're having some issues with your connection lately. To clarify, is this only your mobile data that's affected, or are you also having trouble making/receiving calls and texts too?

Can you also confirm if this problem is occurring wherever you go, or only in a particular area or two?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach. Thanks for your fast reply. I haven’t tried calling whilst “on” 5G so I don’t know if it affects all functions, but it definitely wipes out all internet access, whether Google maps, search or WhatsApp. 
It also happens regardless of my location. I don’t recall ever seeing the 5G symbol and managing to connect to the internet. 

Hi @Ess21,

Thank you for expanding on this. Can you try turning on Airplane Mode, leaving it on for at least 30 seconds, and then turning it back off to see if that helps? This can help to reset your handset's connection to the network so can sometimes relieve issues like this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach. Respectfully, if my phone / internet works well on 4G, why should I need to switch to Airplane Mode for 30 seconds so my phone can actually connect to the internet on 5G? Isn’t it supposed to be an improvement? ie, fastest ever / future of / etc…? 
I’ll try airplane mode next time my phone paralyses itself with 5G but it doesn’t feel like a fix. Is it possible to turn 5G off on my iPhone? It’s an actual danger as I’ve lost Google maps multiple times because of it.  Thanks. 

Hi @Ess21,

The turning on and off of Airplane Mode is useful for any disruptions you may face on the network as it often helps alleviate them.

However, if you wish to manually switch between 5G and 4G, you can do so by going to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data and then making your selection.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

Hi Zach. That’s useful to know, thank you I’ll try it next time it happens. 
Is this 5G issue common? Does Virgin know what causes it to disconnect users from the internet? thanks. Appreciate your help. 

Hi @Ess21,

You shouldn't be having the issues you're describing, no, but of course at the moment not everywhere in the UK provides a 5G level of mobile network so you will find some places where you won't be able to obtain 5G.

It may also be worth making sure that your settings (following the same steps above) are set to auto 5G, meaning it'll only try and connect to 5G if it's available.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

Ok, thanks Zach. Will try what you suggested and come back if it still happens. 
Have a good day. 

Hi @Ess21,

You're more than welcome. Be sure to reach back out to us here if you need any further assistance at all.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team