Menu
EYESEA71
Tuning in
Message 41 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G in London

Activated new sim last night, speeds at home are fine, arrived in office (E1W) right by Tower Bridge sat right next to floor to ceiling window and getting very poor speeds.... This is why i left giffgaff!

0 Kudos
ashscrivens1
On our wavelength
Message 42 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Was the previous sim card an older Virgin sim, were the speeds ok with that one? I believe the older Sims used EE's data connection but the new (purple) sims whilst they use EE's masts the actual data travels via Virgin's fibre network not BT like EE. This is why if you do a speed test it recognises the connection as 'Virgin Media' but I could be wrong.

I am going put my money on it and say Virgin have well underestimated the amount of bandwidth it needs and its falling apart just like their fibre network in built-up cities too, the reason I left them for home broadband a few years ago being told im in a "over subscribed area!

toasty772
Dialled in
Message 43 of 122
Flag for a moderator

"Activated new sim last night, speeds at home are fine, arrived in office (E1W) right by Tower Bridge sat right next to floor to ceiling window and getting very poor speeds.... This is why i left giffgaff!"

If I were you I'd consider cancelling your contract before the cooling off period expires. This issue has been going on for months now with no signs of resolution from Virgin.

EYESEA71
Tuning in
Message 44 of 122
Flag for a moderator

I received the sim yesterday so have a couple of weeks, just gave them my PAC so will have to wait for that to transfer on the 28th and then see but theres no way i want 12 months of this.

0 Kudos
EYESEA71
Tuning in
Message 45 of 122
Flag for a moderator

I've been told that the slow speeds are because my number is in the process of being ported and that it will be fine once the port has taken place, thats blatantly lying surely?

0 Kudos
toasty772
Dialled in
Message 46 of 122
Flag for a moderator

"I've been told that the slow speeds are because my number is in the process of being ported and that it will be fine once the port has taken place, thats blatantly lying surely?"

Sounds very suspect IMO...

nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 47 of 122
Flag for a moderator

I had this same problem on Orange 3G in 2010, it showed full bars of 3G signal but the internet just wasn’t working. It’s a capacity issue.

Im sure they will fix it soon as many people are complaining it hasn’t been too bad over the last few days but last week it was unusable.

0 Kudos
dtreweek
On our wavelength
Message 48 of 122
Flag for a moderator

That does sound like BS, but you might be lucky.  

If yours is anything like mine the speeds will increase as people leave London for the day. 

I certainly wouldn't want to enter into a 12 month contract with Virgin whilst this is going on. I've got a rolling 1 month deal so will be leaving if this doesn't get fixed this month.

Let us know how you get on. CS just read from a script,

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 49 of 122
Flag for a moderator

We are currently looking into this issue. Our team are investigating and they will need some information and examples to assist. We will be privately messaging each customer in order to gather the information required. 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
dtreweek
On our wavelength
Message 50 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Excellent. It should be easy for your engineers to replicate if they are in London, or reportedly Birmingham.

Not sure why this has taken 3 months to get to the stage that it's being investigated.

Also if you need some data points. There is another duplicate thread for the same issue which was raised 6 weeks or so before this one. That has lots of data points on it. So that would be a good starting point.  If it were me I would merge the 2 threads as its distracting and confusing having 2 threads for the same issue. 

look forward to receiving your correspondence. 

0 Kudos