Menu
Message 1 of 122
Flag for a moderator

4G in London

We've seen a small number of reports on the community that some customer in London are having difficulty connecting to 4G data service over the last few days.

If you are affected by this issue, please post in this thread and we'll get back to you.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ashscrivens1
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G in London

Hello,

I have been having issues everytime i'm in busy parts of Central London, i have found dropping to 3G sometimes helps but sometimes this still doesn't work and no webpages will load or apps will respond, i had to find wi-fi.

This has happened once or twice in Central Birmingham as well around New Street this week, other areas are fine.

I use an iPhone XS Max

Thanks

Ash

0 Kudos
lmcnc68
Tuning in
Message 3 of 122
Flag for a moderator

hi,

I'm using my One Plus 3T (whcih I've had for 18 months). Today I lost network coverage earlier today and it won't come back. I have turned off the phone multiple times, turned off mobile data, wifi everything but still have "Emergency calls only"

0 Kudos
toasty772
Dialled in
Message 4 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Pretty much unusable data in London (Fenchurch Street area EC3M) for at least a couple of weeks. Seems worse after approx 8am.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Hi there ashscrivens1, thanks for your message.

Apologies for these issues.

I'm going to pop you a private message.

Thanks

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ashscrivens1
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Just to add, i am currently in central birmingham and again the network is totally dead for data, not able to complete a speed test or even access google.

Seems this isn't just London but more probably down to being areas with a high number of users as the area i am in (Colmore) is very busy, B4 6AD

IMG_4151.jpgIMG_4152.jpg

0 Kudos
lmcnc68
Tuning in
Message 7 of 122
Flag for a moderator

I lost coverage whilst at homeh it works elsewhere. I've been told by Virgun that the tower closest to my home is "degraded" (postcode HP8). They don't know when it will be fixed ##

0 Kudos
Coldashbin
Tuning in
Message 8 of 122
Flag for a moderator

City of London, EC2N 1HQ, no download speed for data at all in the square mile. Been like it for over a month. Given up speaking to Customer Services who can’t seem to understand the issue or know of any course of action to rectify. Complete shambles and not fit for service mobile network. Should have the license pulled.

0 Kudos
ashscrivens1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Come on now VM, just admit there's a capacity issue here in areas which are busy/populated and what your plans are to fix it?

0 Kudos
toasty772
Dialled in
Message 10 of 122
Flag for a moderator

OK here are the results of some speedtests which illustrate the problem.

30th Dec - Carnaby Street London W1F  - Download 0.4 Mbps
30th Dec - Walthamstow Central London E17 (46 minutes later)  - Download 13.6 Mbps

I also ran some tests during yesterday at Fenchurch Street London EC3M (same phone at same spot on desk every time). You can see how the download speeds deteriorate from a respectable speed in the morning to unusable later in the day.

In all of the instances above, the phone was displaying 5 bars of signal and 4G - which gives a very strong indication that the service has been over sold, rather than a signal issue. It seems that there isn't the capacity to satisfy demand.

Anyone from Virgin care to comment ?

Screenshot_20**:**:**:**:**:**-961_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.png

Screenshot_20**:**:**:**:**:**-281_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.png