cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G LTE

dwestmoreland82
Tuning in

I have just moved over from EE on a 4G LTE plan to Virgin 5G on an iPhone 12. The sound quality compared to the EE network is dreadful and not as clear. Is this because it’s not using a 4G LTE network on virgin? I have forced LTE on the iPhone but it’s still the same, saying the network doesn’t support it. Will it support it in the future? as it’s a little disappointing. 

7 REPLIES 7

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

4G and LTE are one and the same. If you are 4G with Virgin on a new contract it will be using LTE

What it might be is VoLTE is not working. 4G can't handle voice but VoLTE converts it to data and subsequently the quality it better.

First thing to do is make a call on 4G and watch what happens. If the phone drops back to 3G then we know VoLTE is not working.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yeah when I make a call to drops to 3G from both 4 and 5G. I take it VoLTE is supported on Virgin? Is this a problem on my end?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VoLTE is supported. 

I don't know iPhones but it may be worth checking it hasn't somehow been turned off

1. Tap Settings.
  2. Tap Cellular.
  3. Ensure the Cellular Data switch is in the “on” position.
  4. Tap Cellular Data Options.
  5. Tap Voice & Data.
  6. Ensure LTE is selected (has a checkmark). If not, tap.
  7. Ensure the VoLTE slider is in the “on” position

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Recently I was using Virgin Mobile with an iPhone, when switching on VoLTE the iPhone would give a warning saying it hadn’t been approved on VM’s network.

Yes that the message I am getting when I turn on the VoLTE on the iPhone. So it’s suggesting it’s not supported. When I’ve got a strong 5G signal, the quality is still very poor. 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VoLTE is supported on iPhone devices

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/wifi-and-4g-calling

But that's as long as you have the latest version of iOS and the latest carrier settings update.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201270

Where did the iPhone 12 come from?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Cheers for that, I will have a look. It’s a brand new 12 out the box from Virgin. I believe it has the latest iOS etc. I will have a look through everything and see what I can find.