cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 sims... only 1 giving 4G speeds...

horror36
Tuning in

I've got 4 virgin mobile contracts.... myself, michelle, sister and niece.
I only got the Niece's sim yesterday, so earlier was messing around testing it out and noticed the data speed on 4G was around 1.5-6 mbps, i thought that’s **bleep**e so tested my sim out and that was getting the same slow speed... on my partners mob she was showing 4G+ and was getting between 80-100mbps.... i thought wth!! i usually switch straight to wifi when i get home, so no idea how long it's been so slow....

lol to cut a long story short, a couple hours of testing i have tried 4 virgin sims.... in 2 samsung s9's, samsung s5 and a crappy lg mobile....

3 of them all give **bleep** speeds no matter which mob they're in... michelles gives both s9's 80-100mbps... and the other 2 mobs much better speeds than any of the other 3 sims....

This is driving me crazy, Virgin are adamant that there's nothing different between the sims.... i'm not changing any setting on any mob.... just swapping the sims over....

One of the so called IT people said it was coz i only had 2gb of data allowance where as my partner had 10gb, i said that was absolute nonsense and she had no idea what she was talking about.

Another 50 minute call they're getting the "BETTER" IT people to contact me....

So has anyone experienced this people.... if there is genuinely no magically settings at their end, i am totally stumped at what it could be....

I have just tested Michelles mob set to 3G only and am getting approx the same speeds the other so called 4G sims are getting.... so i don't care what Virgin are saying or even showing 4G on the mobiles.... they are not set to 4G!!!!!!!

3 REPLIES 3

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Probably on different carriers. Virgin is a Virtual network and relies on others for signal. The new SiM will almost certainly be on Vodafone, so I guess all but one have moved.

There have been reports of slow speeds on Virgin SIM cards running Vodafone but I am at a loss as why that should be as there are 4 Vodafone direct (Well 2 Voxi) users in this house that travel a lot and no reports of slow speeds.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

horror36
Tuning in

Soooooooo....... after ringing and speaking to the cancellation department, the guy told me what was probably 99.9% the problem within mins of looking at my account....

The FAST sim is still connected to the old 4G only network, where the other 3 sims are on the newer 5G network, which is meant to be better, but obviously not for us. I need to speak to the Level 2 techy people tomorrow, who better be able to sort it out or at least put us back onto the 4G network.... we'll see.....

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is no going back to EE That deal between them and Virgin has only one more month to run

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks