Menu
luisverdejo
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

£3 re-occurring charge

While looking at my bill I’ve noticed a recurring £3 pound charge appearing for data usage. For the past 3 months my bill has been in excess of £100 and all the charges coming from data charges. This is particularly confusing considering that these usages/charges are happening while the phone is connected to my home WiFi network and even if there are background updates or downloads these should be running through the WiFi. With a number occurring at exactly midnight.

Ive stripped the phone data services down so that it is basically a phone from the early 90s existing solely on my home WiFi network so would like some clarification on these charges.

my wife is another network and these charges do not appear on her bill and she uses more data than I do.

having read other posts I can see that this seems to be a common occurrence on virgin. But since I’ve been with virgin mobile for the past 8 years and have this phone for two years why this charge is appearing now is puzzling. 

Any help greatly appreciated as I may have to consider switching networks and services.

thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: £3 re-occurring charge

@luisverdejo wrote:

While looking at my bill I’ve noticed a recurring £3 pound charge appearing for data usage. For the past 3 months my bill has been in excess of £100 and all the charges coming from data charges. This is particularly confusing considering that these usages/charges are happening while the phone is connected to my home WiFi network and even if there are background updates or downloads these should be running through the WiFi. With a number occurring at exactly midnight

If it were me. I'd turn data off if I was over my monthly allowance. When the WiFi signal is weak phones will use the data network automatically - even if it shows the WiFi icon, phones switch between what is giving the best signal at any given moment. Best turn data off when you're not wanting it used esp. when you're over your monthly amount/don't have a monthly allowance at all.

Also - to ensure apps don't use the data you need to go into the settings and set the apps to use WiFi only. Even then that won't account for everything the phone does OS wise in terms of update checks, etc,. It would only cover the installed apps. Which again brings it back to turn data off when you're not using/over your allowance.

0 Kudos
luisverdejo
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate the advice, however this does assume that I am completely oblivious to these ideas. I have three standard apps I use for sports and general news, I don’t download anything nor stream through my phone unless on my home WiFi network. And like previously stated this is only a new occurrence as with 8 years of usage and with this last contract my data plan has been increased so this does not show me why I’m incurring this charge when I haven’t used all my data for that period.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi luisverdejo,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about this.

Can I just check have you spoken with our Mobile team concerning this at all? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If it was me I would remove the APN from my phone so it couldn't even if it wanted to. Double sure then nothing can happen

0 Kudos