Menu
mnicol
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

v6 box causing tv to cut

Hi There 

6 months ago I upgraded to the v6 box but my tv's have now started to go black for 5 seconds and then picture resumes and is no pattern to it happening . I  have 4 TVs connected  using a hdmi splitter. I had a virgin engineer come out today and said that he can't help because I shouldn't be using a splitter and I should have a box in every room which is ridiculous 4 boxes for 2 adults in the house. I have used a splitter with virgin for 10 years and have not had a problem until now. The engineer at the upgrade stage new that I was using a splitter and I had no problem for months. It would be nice if virgin could give some advice. 

Thanks Mark

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: v6 box causing tv to cut

He is quite right, no wonder you have problems, I can't wait for a virgin person to respond on here.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

This is clearly an issue caused by trying to split the single 4K, HDCP 2.2, HDMI to serve 4 TVs.

Definitely not a Virgin Media issue and, in my opinion, Virgin Media should take the same action as BT take - I think the charge is around £130 for a non-fault call out with BT.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
mnicol
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The Splitter was fine for the old box and was working for months with the new one . I had the old box but it was broken so virgin reccomended the upgrade to the v6 and they new I had the splitter because he could see it. I should have been advised before uograding. Who is going to have a a box for every tv in the house. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

While the splitter may have worked for the old TiVo, the V6, as I said above, is delivering 4K and HDCP 2.2 to the HDMI out port - an entirely different scenario.

It is not Virgin Media’s responsibility to support your attempt to split this HDMI port with equipment you have bought to maybe do the job.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mnicol
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

As i said it worked for months with the new box and why was advised to upgrade to the new box when he could see I was using a splitter if it’s not going to support it. I should have been advised to stay with TiVo. Engineers should be able to advise customers as they should have the knowledge. Virgin should be able to advise or offer accessories that work with there systems to make life easier. A box for every tv is overkill.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

No employee of Virgin Media can be expected to provide support to any piece of equipment not supplied by Virgin Media.

Any non-Virgin Media equipment you connect to their equipment is your responsibility and Virgin Media cannot guarantee that it will continue to work.

Use Kudos to say thanks

mnicol
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Well seeing as you seem to be knowledgeable what would you suggest. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Personally, I have no solution to offer you, given what I’ve said already.

If I had 4 TVs for two people, I would connect the main TV to the V6 and run the other three off Freeview, a much easier service to split.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mnicol
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Not exactly great in this day in age that if you decide to have a lazy day in bed then you can’t watch your recorded shows. Virgin should realise this and have more than one hdmi ports at the back or provide a solution of some sort. 

0 Kudos