Menu
Buggytivo
On our wavelength
Message 41 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Re: tivo tuners not initiating

So pathetic a company still sending this out to more customers after all complaints. Very poor customer and communication skill when company ignore complaining and arrogant think they know better just like turning of UKTV channels with no warning hoping no one notice. Where are they communicating why they break all function and stop watching tv and what to do about it? I see they now argue with ofcom defending overcharging when customer leave. Will now see if they want to try it on with me. They don't listen so keep getting fined but don't care as they just put price up to pay fines! Awful Virgin companies! Virgin in news too as train tickets now costs more than flying Australia and back. Haha.

0 Kudos
MrsE34
On our wavelength
Message 42 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I just sent a letter of complaint to head office this morning. As far as I'm concerned, this severely reduces the value and usefulness of the Tivo box. I can't see any reason for it, or how this could possibly be an improvement. I am going to write to Which as well and see what our rights (if any) are. My husband really wants to cancel, he's been complaining about the price hikes for years as it is. You never know why it's gone up so much as I can't recall any improvements.

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 43 of 46
Flag for a moderator

@kayjayr wrote:
Mine updated yesterday morning in Manchester & I have the same problem so yes they're still it rolling out. I checked diagnostics to see the tuners & it was only showing the 0 one with a channel number etc but 1 & 2 tuner had no information at all so I set 3 programmes to records at the same time at 7pm, it started one & then my Tivo went off & started 'starting up' again & then all 3 tuners started recording but still couldn't see the 3 tuners when I pressed the right naviagation button, the other 4 options are there subtitles/audio description & can't remember the other 2 but the bottom one for tuners was still missing. I used this function alot for the same reason as previous comments, I watch soaps in delay & then rewind the other tuner so I can see the start of another soap.

Sorry, I'm probably misinterpreting something.. but you say your TiVo went off and "started up" again when multiple recordings started up? Cos if that's the case and the box is rebooting the first time all 3 tuners are triggered...

I get that part of this software release might be that unused tuners are potentially being put in some kind of sleep when not being used. But I'd hope that when they're needed, the box doesn't turn off and start up again...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chops
Rising star
Message 44 of 46
Flag for a moderator

@kayjayr wrote:

How do you find what software version you are on please?

Press HOME on the remote control then follow this sequence : Help&Settings - Settings - System Info

The third line down from the top of the Software Info page indicates the software version.

20.8.1.RC9-VMC-2-C00 is the version that is causing the problem with the tuners.

0 Kudos
carnivalist
Superfast
Message 45 of 46
Flag for a moderator

@MrsE34 wrote:

I just sent a letter of complaint to head office this morning. As far as I'm concerned, this severely reduces the value and usefulness of the Tivo box. I can't see any reason for it, or how this could possibly be an improvement. I am going to write to Which as well and see what our rights (if any) are. My husband really wants to cancel, he's been complaining about the price hikes for years as it is. You never know why it's gone up so much as I can't recall any improvements.

Cancel. I'm actively preparing to do so when my contract ends. This is the final straw - not so much the actual inconvenience and frustration but the principle & precedent involved.

This is clearly a deliberate change and is equally clearly a downgrade - Virgin once even flagged up the ability to view and switch between tuners as a benefit of Tivo, so they can hardly claim that the change is inconsequential.

If Virgin can remove beneficial functionality from one core device without consultation or a price adjustment to compensate, then what's to prevent them doing it to another core device in future? What happens when the V6 is on the way out? Will they downgrade it and "encourage" us to move to the next box whether we are ready to or not? What prevents them removing functionality from broadband or landline? My experience of Virgin Mobile was that they were completely untrustworthy and am glad I took the plunge and left them. If Virgin Media are going the same way it's time to prepare to finish with them too.

I've already purchased a Firestick and it it proves as good and easy to get to grips with as it's supposed to be will then expand my horizons with other streaming boxes such as NowTV. It will at least fill a bit of a gap if I do end up leaving.

It also seems that VM value new customers more than existing ones, so there's an added incentive to leave, even if it's only until you qualify as a new customer and can take advantage of the various deals on offer if you do want to rejoin.

There comes a point at which the hassle and daunting act of leaving is outweighed by the hassle and expense of staying. The more of us have the guts to put our foot down the more likely companies are to listen.

0 Kudos
zeke
Rising star
Message 46 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I noticed this particular "upgrade" or more accurately downgrade when I visited a friend who had the other 3-tuner TiVo installed.  Not only is the UI about as slow as it's ever been (trying to type things in on YouTube searches with the remote is painful enough, more so when the interface on the app is laggy) but this 3-tuner control feature being removed is ridiculous.  This feature is one of the few remaining TiVo core features that most wannabe DVRs don't have, and VM scalping it out of the older boxes is a slap in the face.

This is exactly why a few years ago I dumped all my VM services and bought a Humax Freeview DVR, in my case a couple of HDR Fox T2 boxes so I have four tuners at my disposal for myself and the missus.  When you install something called Raydon's Custom Firmware you can schedule shows remotely from a website, or if you're at home you can log into the boxes on the LAN and real time schedule things from a tablet or smartphone equipped with nothing more than a browser.  No subscription cost, and as a bonus the boxes can actually decrypt their recordings and these can then be copied elsewhere or streamed from WiFi around the house.  Full 1080i/1080p quality streams if you record in HD, too.  Compared to the basic M or M+ packages VM used to offer the channel selection is about the same, too - I do miss Film 4 HD but that's about it!  4TB harddrive in one and 2TB drive in the other, 6TB of storage space...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Samsung LE32C530, Virgin Media TiVo, Acer Revo R3610 HTPC 4TB, Xbox 360 Halo Slim, Sony PS2HDD, Sony STR-DE595 Home Cinema Amp
0 Kudos