cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting up on tv screen but not using tivo

merlot1963
Tuning in

I just have a tv and landline contract but the tivo box is still here and switched off as far as I can tell.  For some reason "starting up" keeps appearing on the tv then eventually comes up with 576 input.  I can go back to watching normal tv by using my remote but after a while "starting up" appears again.  I am sure I have turned off the tivo box incase virgin were trying to link it up to the tv and it looks turned off to me.  I cannot understand why this starting up keeps appearing though.  Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Sarah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think your TiVo is restarting and either not completing the boot cycle, or rebooting repeatedly - that's a fault.

Your TV has an auto-detect option enabled on its HDMI inputs, and every time the TiVo starts up, your TV is switching to the HDMI connection being used by the TiVo.

If the TiVo is live and you're paying for a subscription, then your box should be replaced to stop this happening. If you're not paying for a TV subscription, then simply disconnect the box from the mains power supply.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think your TiVo is restarting and either not completing the boot cycle, or rebooting repeatedly - that's a fault.

Your TV has an auto-detect option enabled on its HDMI inputs, and every time the TiVo starts up, your TV is switching to the HDMI connection being used by the TiVo.

If the TiVo is live and you're paying for a subscription, then your box should be replaced to stop this happening. If you're not paying for a TV subscription, then simply disconnect the box from the mains power supply.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

morning VIP

I think that sounds right as HDM1 also comes up on the screen.  My only worry is when disconnecting the tivo box, what do I do with, I think it's called a scart plug.  Do I just pull that out of the tv and not put it in anywhere else?

Thanks

Sarah

morning VIP

Forget my last message re scart lead as I.ve just pulled it out and it doesnt seem to go anywhere else.  There is however another lead in the back of the tivo which you cant just pull out and seems to go into another box with some other plugs.  I have decided to leave that in the back of the tivo and just go ahead with the mains and scart type plug taken out and hurray, no more starting up on screen!

So thanks so much.  I hope Virgin pay you guys for doing their job for them!!

Sarah

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like the plug you can't remove is the co-ax which carries your live TV signals. If you've removed the mains power supply then the box will remain powered-down.

Although if you have a TV subscription then I'm curious why you wouldn't want the faulty box replaced.

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.  Yes co-ax sounds memorable for what it is.  I don't have a tv subscription with Virgin, I only pay for landline and broadband but used to have a package but as I hardly use the tv for anything but just watching what is on and not catch up, recording etc plus the bill was extortionate I thought, so I cancelled it!

Sarah