Menu
Garryray63
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

set a reminder

Please can somebody tell me if I can set a reminder for the a show to start??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: set a reminder

You can set Record and Remind for a show:
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
alanjeff10
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I have just got a tivo box today. I can't use the volume and its the box not the remote. nor can I set reminders why do I have to record? it not what I want. If this is it then I'm off to someone who provides a service not one that tells me that features and functions i have used for years have gone. had i known this I would rejected the change. The wife is giving me serious verbal abuse over this. Ta Virgin

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

If the volume isn't working from the Virgin TV remote, then you've not set it up to control your TV volume. Follow the option in Help on the box to set the remote to control your TV volume.

As for the Record and Remind function, TiVo based boxes are designed from the ground up to record, so all channel tuners on a TiVo or V6 box record what is needed at time.

The way that a TiVo or V6 box can guarantee you can watch the show you want to set a reminder for is by recording it and reminding you of that recording.

0 Kudos
alanjeff10
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the advice. I had assumed that volume was controlled by the box as it had before. Of course its not its the tv that needs to be  controlled. Mine is a very old Beko CRT and the codes didn't match. But a found a code on a old leaflet and it worked. Strange the box is not controlling Sound. But the Reminders issue is getting me nagged at. It was she who used this feature and she is not happy at its loss. Basic feature of all previous boxes so why lose it. Don't mention tuners it just starts the nagging again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

It's not lost. V boxes and the TiVo boxes are designed for different things.

The V boxes were originally designed before the days of hard-disk recorders. So the reminder function was there to allow you to set your box to change the single live channel and then set your connected VCR to record on a timer.

When the hard-disk V+ HD recording box came along, it was an addition to that existing setup. Recording tuners were added so you could watch and record different things, but it kept a dedicated tuner for watching live TV, the existing reminder function worked with that, and there was never a risk that reminder would cancel or change a recording.

However, TiVo boxes were designed from day one for recordings. Originally (and before Virgin Media had them) TiVo boxes only had one tuner as well, but that was used as both a recording tuner and live TV tuner. So if you wanted to guarantee to watch something, you recorded it. Because of this there was no need for a Reminder, as anything you wanted to watch would be in My Shows.

As TiVo boxes advanced, they gained more tuners, but they can all record. There is no dedicated live TV tuner, so to guarantee you can watch something, you have to record it (otherwise TiVo may have something else to record from a Series Link or Wishlist at that time), and again it'll be in My Shows.

Virgin Media worked with TiVo to get Reminders added because of the customer feedback they got after people started moving from V boxes to the TiVo boxes. However, because of the way the TiVo works, it needs to dedicate a tuner to the show you the reminder for. So rather than spend lots of time making it do that and not record the show, it was simpler to just use the existing recording functions that TiVo was designed to do, and add a notification.

0 Kudos
alanjeff10
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thank You but you are really saying is the loss of a feature is too expensive to correct. I just wish i had been advised of the changes before I was sent the box because based on household feedback i.e. she who must be obeyed, I would not have bothered.

Having spent a little time on-line last night I note there is general complaint regarding this issue. Also I find the font size used on the box assumes that a large screen will be used but many still have smaller screens.

So now I either kick virgin into touch or buy a new TV which on a pension is not too easy to consider. After the summer **bleep** up of UKTV i did as Virgin suggested and set up free-view and my free-view box does simple reminders. So to keep the peace I have set this up fully this morning. So now I ask what bonus does Virgin give me. Broadband is being more flaky every day. Wifi is very poor and I use my own router from time to time to give Wifi access to the Grandchildren. The Virgin package is becoming expensive and vastly overpriced for the basic stuff. 

But again Thank you for the time you have taken to help me solve my immediate issue with this Tivo box.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@alanjeff10 wrote:

Thank You but you are really saying is the loss of a feature is too expensive to correct. I just wish i had been advised of the changes before I was sent the box because based on household feedback i.e. she who must be obeyed, I would not have bothered.

It's not about correcting anything. It's new functionality compared with how TiVo has been designed for 20 years.

So it's not about expense (although that will have been a factor, as it always is in business), but whether TiVo would be prepared to make that change to their product - compared with adding a simple notification to the existing way TiVo works.

TiVo is a worldwide company, not just for Virgin Media in the UK. So any changes to the way the core TiVo functions work would be worldwide and not just in the UK.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I don’t understand how users can’t see that Record and Remind is actually a reminder function and works exactly the same if you just want a reminder.

If you just want a reminder, the box will turn over at the appointed time, same as Reminder on other boxes.

What Record and Remind does is give you the additional benefit of recording if you’re not sitting in front of the TV so you miss nothing.

0 Kudos
alanjeff10
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Well in my world of business it about meeting the aspirations of clients. If I, as Virgin-media, am buying enough boxes and my clients like a functionality or feature of equipment that they are used too and it is they who pay me. So I will do my best either to find a serviceable work-around and ensure the required standard feature is restored in due time. Its immaterial what Tivo want, its what my customers want. If I am buying 4 million units I have the buying power to have it work the way my clients expect or find someone else to design my software. As for working worldwide that is just not factual. Having been involved in International software versions for many countries over the last 25 years it is perfectly possible to have a core software with regional variations. We have to do it with telephone systems all the time.