cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can we turn pin off PERMANENTLY? it is an absolute pain

twinflameskiss
On our wavelength

How can we turn the pin off PERMANENTLY?

We are a couple in out 50s and do not have children and DO NOT need a pin, at all, EVER, and should NOT have one enforced on us.

We have turned off the pin setting, but are still asked for one all the time. We dont watch porm program with violence ior drug programs, etc.,  yet it still is imposed on programs we cant even work out why. Why does Ancient Aliens need a pin? 

It is an absolute PAIN, every time we switch channels in a pin program we have to put it in all over again when we switch back. (And changing it to 1111 is not a solution).

When we were with BT (and other services) we didnt have to, so Virgin COULD make it optional. There are complaints on here going back to 2011 from adults without children, and with disabilities using the controls, asking for it to be removed permanently, yet Virgin have just IGNORED them.

WE are the customer, WE are paying for the service, WE should have the choice of imposing any parental controls only if they are needed, not Virgin.

So Virgin, when are you going to give the people paying the option to turn it off PERMANENTLY?

121 REPLIES 121

@linny40wrote:

@dannylauwrote:

@linny40wrote:

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@linny40

It’s really not a matter of you speaking to Ofcom.

Ofcom require Sky, Virgin Media and any other supplier to comply with this regulation about certified broadcast material and the watershed for watching such programs.

The fact that you pay for the material is of no consequence.

Apparently, with SKY you do NOT have to put in a pin if you have the parental controls off to watch a film - or so they and others tell me, but never ever having sky i cannot make much comment can only state what i have been told or read.

We are such a nanny state that we as adults have to basically "ask" by putting a pin in if we can watch a film at 11am or 2pm

.I could maybe understand if all virgin customers had little people under the age of 12 living with them, but a heck of a lot of us are  mature adults

Simply googling sky movies pin required and looking at the second result brings up a sky q customer being told they cannot switch off the pin for sky movies

As a virgin customer why would i needto google what sky does??.

But i did google why does vm need a pin for sky movies - all i got was this forum or someother rubbish.

we just needa simple answer as to WHY!!! 

You've had the answer. 

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

@Sephirothwrote:

@linny40wrote:

@dannylauwrote:

@linny40wrote:

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@linny40

Ofcom require Sky, Virgin Media and any other supplier to comply with this regulation about certified broadcast material and the watershed for watching such programs.

Apparently, with SKY you do NOT have to put in a pin if you have the parental controls off to watch a film - or so they and others tell me, but never ever having sky i cannot make much comment can only state what i have been told or read.

We are such a nanny state that we as adults have to basically "ask" by putting a pin in if we can watch a film at 11am or 2pm

.I could maybe understand if all virgin customers had little people under the age of 12 living with them, but a heck of a lot of us are  mature adults

Simply googling sky movies pin required and looking at the second result brings up a sky q customer being told they cannot switch off the pin for sky movies

But i did google why does vm need a pin for sky movies - all i got was this forum or someother rubbish.

You've had the answer.  What's the matter with you?

How rude!! 

All ive had us excuses not answers.

as there is no real answer other than the likes of ofcom by the sound of it are controlling what we watch even thought we have to pay higly for the privailge

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@linny40wrote:

I said google "sky pin for movies"

as there is no real answer other than the likes of ofcom by the sound of it are controlling what we watch even thought we have to pay highly for the privilege

That is the answer

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

as there is no real answer other than the likes of ofcom by the sound of it are controlling what we watch even thought we have to pay higly for the privailge

Isn't that what Government Regulators are supposed to do?

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

it is law that is the only answer you need. this discussion has gone on too long

government legislation (communications act) and ofcoms code of practice - relevant highlights

''the code defines “mandatory restricted access” as “a PIN [personal identification number]
protected system (or other equivalent protection) which cannot be removed by the user, that
restricts access solely to those authorised to view''

''premium subscription film services may broadcast up to BBFC 15-rated films or
their equivalent, at any time of day provided that mandatory restricted access
is in place pre-2000 and post-0530, this would prevent access by children''

it was also discussed in parliament and agreed by both parties. so even if labour come to power it will not change. if i can find video/text of the agreed legislation at the time quoting both parties agreement i will link it here too.

move on, i won't be replying or adding anything further aside from that above. 

Kippies
Alessandro Volta

@linny40 wrote:

@dannylauwrote:

@linny40wrote:

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@linny40

Why bother putting movies on during the day like say the marvels films etc if we cant watch without proving we are adults.

lets also be sensible here even people that do have kids of 12-18  they are smart enought to be able to work out a pin & enter.

or their parents just dont care.

christ if kids can hack websites etc finingout a tvpin in simple. 

So its all a load of crap basically!!  We are being controlled & have to gain permission to watch tv with a highly paid service. 

Yes. Welcome to 2018 Britain.

The illusion of "doing something about it" is more important than actually doing something about it.

So in this case, having to input a PIN is a good "reminder" to us all of how seriously the government takes the safety of our children. Think of the children!!!

As you point out, allowing adult content (or "more mature content"- adult content sounds wrong LOL) to households that DONT have little ones, and requiring a PIN from those who do,  is perfectly feasible given the technology we have.

Hell use facial recognition and if theres a minor in the room, block it all together.

Theres two ends to the why- first off PIN is easy to implement, current gen boxes have it built in- no cost to the content providers..

Secondly the "Airport security" effect. Limiting carry on toiletries to 100Ml has stopped exactly 0 attacks. But we FEEL safer 

But thats all pretty much irrelevant. As pointed out above its an OFCOM requirement that all providers have to follow. Your beef is with them.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

...not to mention that it does actually put the onous on the Parent as to what their offspring watch.

Rather than the provider "leaving the door unlocked" so that anyone can walk in, the box owner has the key. So it is actually giving control to the person that owns the box, not to just anyone that happens to be sitting in front of it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Lorraine49
On our wavelength
Thanks, I got the V6 box yesterday, just found out it requests PIN everytime I go to my recordings, followed your instructions and, hey presto, no PIN needed.

Kovenna
Joining in

May I just try and remove the burden of emotion from this thread?

I too find the odd occasion on which a PIN is requested to be a nuisance. I don't get upset about it, but would like to get rid as my daughter is now 21 and we no longer need any parental controls.

I have just this minute accessed Help & Settings, Parental Controls on the TIVO box and unlocked everything and made sure there is no reason (as far as this issue is concerned) for a PIN to be requested. I will report back and let you all know how this has panned out.

But just for the sake of sanity, may I point out the following?

1. Virgin are only interesting in a)taking your money b) making sure they adhere to laws and guidelines c) Upholding their reputation as a responsible provider. In that order. Why would they want to dictate something like a PIN? Does it add to shareholder value? Judging by the complaints I would say not.

2. When there were no parental controls on TV, Games etc (can you remember back that far?) eventually there was an outcry about protecting the young. Quite right. But as always, the provider community over-react to ensure that they have covered all the bases. Hence why some things appear "dictates" when its just Virgin protecting themselves. This doesn't help us much, but it's a rationale reason rather than a big-brother conspiracy.

3. Lastly, there may be OFCOM stipulations and Virgin will obey these to keep themselves off the front-page of the Daily Mail (see 1 above). There is nothing providers can do about these. These would have been put in place by OFCOM as a result of public pressure, not because the organisation wants to annoy everyone. I'm sure they have better things to do.

Hope that helps put this problem into perspective

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kovenna wrote:

3. Lastly, there may be OFCOM stipulations and Virgin will obey these to keep themselves off the front-page of the Daily Mail (see 1 above). There is nothing providers can do about these.

OFCOMS rules apply only to the Sky Cinema channels, & VM cannot carry the channels without the restrictions being in place

These would have been put in place by OFCOM as a result of public pressure, not because the organisation wants to annoy everyone. I'm sure they have better things to do.

Public pressure? - More like Government policy makers pressure. The general public cannot be trusted to make the decisions now it appears..