cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can we turn pin off PERMANENTLY? it is an absolute pain

twinflameskiss
On our wavelength

How can we turn the pin off PERMANENTLY?

We are a couple in out 50s and do not have children and DO NOT need a pin, at all, EVER, and should NOT have one enforced on us.

We have turned off the pin setting, but are still asked for one all the time. We dont watch porm program with violence ior drug programs, etc.,  yet it still is imposed on programs we cant even work out why. Why does Ancient Aliens need a pin? 

It is an absolute PAIN, every time we switch channels in a pin program we have to put it in all over again when we switch back. (And changing it to 1111 is not a solution).

When we were with BT (and other services) we didnt have to, so Virgin COULD make it optional. There are complaints on here going back to 2011 from adults without children, and with disabilities using the controls, asking for it to be removed permanently, yet Virgin have just IGNORED them.

WE are the customer, WE are paying for the service, WE should have the choice of imposing any parental controls only if they are needed, not Virgin.

So Virgin, when are you going to give the people paying the option to turn it off PERMANENTLY?

121 REPLIES 121

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I just set my pin to 1111, it's hardly arduous to press 4 buttons

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@dannylauwrote:

I just set my pin to 1111, it's hardly arduous to press 4 buttons

actually it is a pain if every time you want to watch a film or record a film before 8pm you have to put in a pin. Its more about the fact that we are being controlled over what we can watch by having to input a pin  for a family film - all because apparently its shown before the 8pm watershed. Why do they put films on during this time   if they cant be recorded or watched?? I think in the past even a PG rated film has asked for a pin. and imNOT the only one to complain!!! 

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@linny40

It’s really not a matter of you speaking to Ofcom.

Ofcom require Sky, Virgin Media and any other supplier to comply with this regulation about certified broadcast material and the watershed for watching such programs.

The fact that you pay for the material is of no consequence.

Apparently, with SKY you do NOT have to put in a pin if you have the parental controls off to watch a film - or so they and others tell me, but never ever having sky i cannot make much comment can only state what i have been told or read.

We are such a nanny state that we as adults have to basically "ask" by putting a pin in if we can watch a film at 11am or 2pm

.I could maybe understand if all virgin customers had little people under the age of 12 living with them, but a heck of a lot of us are  mature adults

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@linny40

You need to read my message 55 above which came straight from the Sky website and states that you do have to use the PIN with Sky.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@linny40wrote:

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@linny40

Ofcom require Sky, Virgin Media and any other supplier to comply with this regulation about certified broadcast material and the watershed for watching such programs.

Apparently, with SKY you do NOT have to put in a pin if you have the parental controls off to watch a film - or so they and others tell me, but never ever having sky i cannot make much comment can only state what i have been told or read.

We are such a nanny state that we as adults have to basically "ask" by putting a pin in if we can watch a film at 11am or 2pm

.I could maybe understand if all virgin customers had little people under the age of 12 living with them, but a heck of a lot of us are  mature adults

Simply googling sky movies pin required and looking at the second result brings up a sky q customer being told they cannot switch off the pin for sky movies

As an existing customer with Sky who.is transferring to Virgin on 12 April, I can confirm that if you want to watch s movie before the appropriate watershed be it recorded or live then you must enter your pin number first.

nothing to do with being a 'nanny state'. it is to stop kids seeing things they shouldn't do. the argument 'we have no kids' won't wash either. the argument is that kids could get access such as those visiting be it family, friends or neighbours. it is the law and is there to protect kids.

sky and bt comply with ofcom/governments ruling on the matter and i don't see it changing.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@linny40wrote:

@nodrogd

These are Sky film channels sold under a wholesale agreement, so perhaps you should ask Sky that question. Or perhaps you should complain to OFCOM who imposed the ruling on Virgin, Sky & all the other wholesale providers, or perhaps your MP so our "nanny state" laws get reviewed which actually caused the issue in the first place.

Actually  i have already coontacted Sky who tell me its nothnig to do with them and its down to Virgin -

Sky Movie channels are nothing to do with Sky???

So you think that Virgin tell Sky what movies to put on at what times? Smiley LOL

I think I'll leave it there.

The answer is simple. If you want to broadcast a channel in the UK you have to abide by the law. Sky wanted the ability to circumvent the watershed rules so Adults COULD enjoy out of watershed movies. Putting in a PIN is a small price to pay for having this facility. I know its a pain, but HM Government doesn't trust people who do have children & insist they have control of the TV & not their parents, end of. You or I may not have any children, but as I say, "nanny state" rules.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@linny40

You need to read my message 55 above which came straight from the Sky website and states that you do have to use the PIN with Sky.

To be fair i didnt read the top line.

i saw i structions for sky - which i ignored as no need to know that info. So if thats the casewhy dothey tell you over phone its not needed.

hmm probably to try n poach vm customers!!!

@dannylauwrote:

@linny40wrote:

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@linny40

Simply googling sky movies pin required and looking at the second result brings up a sky q customer being told they cannot switch off the pin for sky movies

As a virgin customer why would i needto google what sky does??.

But i did google why does vm need a pin for sky movies - all i got was this forum or someother rubbish.

we just needa simple answer as to WHY!!! 

Why bother putting movies on during the day like say the marvels films etc if we cant watch without proving we are adults.

lets also be sensible here even people that do have kids of 12-18  they are smart enought to be able to work out a pin & enter.

or their parents just dont care.

christ if kids can hack websites etc finingout a tvpin in simple. 

So its all a load of crap basically!!  We are being controlled & have to gain permission to watch tv with a highly paid service.