cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can we turn pin off PERMANENTLY? it is an absolute pain

twinflameskiss
On our wavelength

How can we turn the pin off PERMANENTLY?

We are a couple in out 50s and do not have children and DO NOT need a pin, at all, EVER, and should NOT have one enforced on us.

We have turned off the pin setting, but are still asked for one all the time. We dont watch porm program with violence ior drug programs, etc.,  yet it still is imposed on programs we cant even work out why. Why does Ancient Aliens need a pin? 

It is an absolute PAIN, every time we switch channels in a pin program we have to put it in all over again when we switch back. (And changing it to 1111 is not a solution).

When we were with BT (and other services) we didnt have to, so Virgin COULD make it optional. There are complaints on here going back to 2011 from adults without children, and with disabilities using the controls, asking for it to be removed permanently, yet Virgin have just IGNORED them.

WE are the customer, WE are paying for the service, WE should have the choice of imposing any parental controls only if they are needed, not Virgin.

So Virgin, when are you going to give the people paying the option to turn it off PERMANENTLY?

121 REPLIES 121

in tat case then smoething strange happened. We recorded a movie,  ( or tried to) but before it would play wetried to input pin, but it did not work.  It seemed to records just the channel with the message about needing a pin. so something wrong there then

geoffro
On our wavelength

"Pin is only required for Sky Movies"

Not true, I have just been asked for my PIN when starting to watch a recording of Indycar which was shown on BT Sports

Jaz1962
Joining in

I see that the post was from 2015 it's now 2018 and they still haven't managed to switch off the pin.

I did as it said in the help section still asked for the pin when I went back into TV.

Phoned Virgin and they weren't much help so I am send a letter of comlaint to their head office.

Maybe if we all did that we wouldn't have this problem. I didn't have the problem with SKY

@Jaz1962wrote:

I see that the post was from 2015 it's now 2018 and they still haven't managed to switch off the pin.

I did as it said in the help section still asked for the pin when I went back into TV.

Phoned Virgin and they weren't much help so I am send a letter of comlaint to their head office.

Maybe if we all did that we wouldn't have this problem. I didn't have the problem with SKY

Virgin say its down to sky as they make the demands,but when i rang sky they say its not them its a virgin thing & to contact them.

just going round in circles getting fobbed off.

why put films for 12+ on during the day if we cant watch without a pin. I meaneven normal films it asks for a pin.  We were watching a film channel sunday. Film finished we disappeard out of room,came back a little while later to find a bloody screen saver saying pin required to watch what ever the next film was. Ridiculous. We pay enogh money & should not be told to enter a pin to watch things. Never had parental locks on - no need to **bleep**!!

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You do need to enter a PIN to watch Sky Movies if the rating dictates it and it’s before the dictated time.

See this from Sky themselves:

12569ADE-4EB3-4D67-BB21-CA8A54930A1B.png

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Rebecca_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi geoffro, 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

A PIN will always be needed to watch certain programmes with an age rating, whether they are live or recorded.

For example you will always need a PIN to watch:

• Programmes rated 12, before 8pm
  • Programmes rated 15, before 9pm
  • Programmes rated 18, before 10pm 

You can find all of the information about the TV PIN and when it is needed [here]

Take care 

Rebecca 

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

@Rebecca_Gwrote:

Hi geoffro, 

A PIN will always be needed to watch certain programmes with an age rating, whether they are live or recorded.

You can find all of the information about the TV PIN and when it is needed [here]

Take care 

Rebecca 

Rebecca, so why in that case do you advertise and show these films before their watershed. you schedule these sort of films during the day time when you know we cant wantch or record without adding the PIN,  so its ridiculous and a waste of our time trying to record.Sundays is usually a lazy day or watching filmd, but we have to put a stupid pin in before we can watch most films before pm - by that time for some people that have to get up at the crack of dawn the film often ends far to late  so we never get to watch. 

Maybe i will jsutcancel the films section and save my money if i cant watch, i can they go buy them and watch at any time day or  night or even pay for Netfilx where there is NO PIN needed

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@linny40wrote:

@Rebecca_Gwrote:

Hi geoffro, 

Take care 

Rebecca 

Rebecca, so why in that case do you advertise and show these films before their watershed. you schedule these sort of films during the day time when you know we cant wantch or record without adding the PIN,  so its ridiculous and a waste of our time trying to record.Sundays is usually a lazy day or watching filmd, but we have to put a stupid pin in before we can watch most films before pm - by that time for some people that have to get up at the crack of dawn the film often ends far to late  so we never get to watch. 

These are Sky film channels sold under a wholesale agreement, so perhaps you should ask Sky that question. Or perhaps you should complain to OFCOM who imposed the ruling on Virgin, Sky & all the other wholesale providers, or perhaps your MP so our "nanny state" laws get reviewed which actually caused the issue in the first place.

Maybe i will jsutcancel the films section and save my money if i cant watch, i can they go buy them and watch at any time day or  night or even pay for Netfilx where there is NO PIN needed

Netfix is an internet service, not a Broadcast channel. The OFCOM rules apply to broadcast channels only..

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@nodrogd

These are Sky film channels sold under a wholesale agreement, so perhaps you should ask Sky that question. Or perhaps you should complain to OFCOM who imposed the ruling on Virgin, Sky & all the other wholesale providers, or perhaps your MP so our "nanny state" laws get reviewed which actually caused the issue in the first place.

Actually  i have already coontacted Sky who tell me its nothnig to do with them and its down to Virgin -

OFCOM - well i have tried contacting them but all to no avail, as i cannot find an email address, only a postal address or telephone number. and i do not have time to sit on the phone talkngi to someone who has no idea.

Netfix is an internet service, not a Broadcast channel. The OFCOM rules apply to broadcast channels only..

as far as i am concerened its a premium service that i have to pay for and watch via my TV just like my virgin subscription, as a paying customer i should NOT have to go via ofcom to ask why i can only watch certain things at certain times when i pay dearly for my service.

Of course if i were getting the service for free i would quite happily put a PIN in to watch a film during the day time - BUT unfortunatly we have to pay not only for the film channels but for all the other stuff included with the whole virgin package.

Seems as custoemrs we get fobbed of with either  its down to sky or its down to ofcom.

If someone could offer me an email address to contact ofcom on behalf of virgin i would happliy do so.

I know you will probably again say its different but NOW TV - again a subscription service where im sure they do NOT have to input a PIN to watch films or a package they have already paid for.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@linny40

It’s really not a matter of you speaking to Ofcom.

Ofcom require Sky, Virgin Media and any other supplier to comply with this regulation about certified broadcast material and the watershed for watching such programs.

The fact that you pay for the material is of no consequence.