cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can we turn pin off PERMANENTLY? it is an absolute pain

twinflameskiss
On our wavelength

How can we turn the pin off PERMANENTLY?

We are a couple in out 50s and do not have children and DO NOT need a pin, at all, EVER, and should NOT have one enforced on us.

We have turned off the pin setting, but are still asked for one all the time. We dont watch porm program with violence ior drug programs, etc.,  yet it still is imposed on programs we cant even work out why. Why does Ancient Aliens need a pin? 

It is an absolute PAIN, every time we switch channels in a pin program we have to put it in all over again when we switch back. (And changing it to 1111 is not a solution).

When we were with BT (and other services) we didnt have to, so Virgin COULD make it optional. There are complaints on here going back to 2011 from adults without children, and with disabilities using the controls, asking for it to be removed permanently, yet Virgin have just IGNORED them.

WE are the customer, WE are paying for the service, WE should have the choice of imposing any parental controls only if they are needed, not Virgin.

So Virgin, when are you going to give the people paying the option to turn it off PERMANENTLY?

121 REPLIES 121

Xian
Well-informed

Also bear in mind that On Demand shows often require a PIN.

As I said, I can watch a recording of "Messiah" - no PIN. But exactly the same episode requires a PIN from On Demand. [Well it did this morning!]

HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
There was some sort of error with Fox and TiVo (which was never explained) that caused all old recordings to require a PIN (I still have 2 recordings from then that still need a PIN).

Check to see if new recordings are okay (anything after the day you first noticed the issue). If it's only the old recordings that require a PIN then it's the same issue I had with Fox. If it's all of your recordings then something else has gone wrong.

Hope this helps.

@Lurgod wrote:
There was some sort of error with Fox and TiVo (which was never explained) that caused all old recordings to require a PIN (I still have 2 recordings from then that still need a PIN).

Check to see if new recordings are okay (anything after the day you first noticed the issue). If it's only the old recordings that require a PIN then it's the same issue I had with Fox. If it's all of your recordings then something else has gone wrong.

Hope this helps.

I was using Tivo anywhere one day at the time Fox required a pin and the pops ups you get came up with one that said something about Fox no longer being shown by Virgin. Turns out that was an error pop up that shouldn't have gone out but, I suspect they had it ready for if and when contract negotiations fell apart  .. assuming they were renegotiating contracts?. . only guesswork on my part tho 😉 

I had a few older recordings ask for a Pin recently too. .can't recall exact channels but most of my stuff is Alibi/Watch/Fox/Sky/Living/Universal/SyFy/E&More4 so maybe they are/were in contract re negotiation with one of them too?

For Sky Movies, I use the nearest no, in my R/C its 1, so set it to 1111, still a pain but quicker than different numbers.

Teekay
Tuning in
Hardly ever get asked for a pin on my TiVo box. The old box in the bedroom does but meh not that much of a bother to moan about it this much is it.

SabsH
On our wavelength
My TiVo asks me for a PIN to watch Hotel Inspector, recorded last week, in the afternoon. This is rather stupid. And yes, I have parental controls turned off. It basically asks for a PIN for everything the TiVo records for me if I watch it before 9pm and sometimes even after 9pm!!!

Huw_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there SabsH, 

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums, and say that I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this issue where you need to put your PIN in for everything that is recorded. 

I would certainly look back at the parental controls, 

HOME > HELP AND SETTINGS > PARENTAL CONTROLS (ENTER PIN) > REQUEST A PIN  TO WATCH RECORDINGS

If this is currently set DO NOT REQUEST A PIN, then I'd ask you to change so that the tick is on the request a pin option, then come out of the menu, and follow that path again, then change it back to do not request a pin. 

Please let me know how this all goes for you. 

Many thanks and apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

megsteve
Tuning in
Sure it takes more buttons to log in and complain about pins -soz but pins are not a pain -things not working as they should list is endless ...

You're a rude piece of ... twinflameskiss.