cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apps dont work

Jules73
Tuning in

Can anyone offer any advice,  I cant watch any programmes on catch up or any app as once i get approximately 10 mins in I get an error message saying there is no internet connection. 

Netflix is the same and some programmes when I try to watch on catch up it says my box needs upgrading to be able to use the apps. e.g All 4 

I have raised this issue before and was sent a new hub but that has made no difference at all, I have the  Tivo box and sometimes when watching tv I can hear the box clunking as if its struggling to work 

I have tried all possible solutions suggested but still have the issue. 

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This answer is going to be lengthy...

The TiVo box has an inbuilt internet connection, separate from your home broadband, and it's not uncommon for users to not realise this has failed - which impacts any online functionality.

Look at the "heartbeat" LED on the front-left of your TiVo, this is the status for the inbuilt modem. Does it flash when you have problems? The box is offline if so. TV signals are separate, but anything that uses the internet won't work. Since your homehub doesn't provide the internet for a TiVo, that won't have made the slightest bit of difference.

The newer streaming apps are one of many improvements you'd find with a V6 box - it runs the same software as your TiVo, but on much newer hardware. It has more recording tuners (6 rather than the TiVo's 3) and is much better at using the various streaming services. Crucially it doesn't have an inbuilt modem but does rely on your homehub for the internet.

You've not said what "all possible solutions" are, but if there's a clunking sound that distinctly sounds like the hard drive might be slowly failing - the only fix for that is a box-swap. If you're out of contract and in a position to renegotiate your package, then you're in an ideal position to ask for a V6 swap as part of the deal.

Also be aware of the newer 360 software that VM might offer you - it runs on the same physical box as the V6 but is very different software and has pros & cons. Do your research before accepting 360 as opinions vary wildly, and you can't revert to TiVo/V6 if you don't like it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi 

Thanks for the reply 

By all possible solutions I meant everything I  was suggested last time I raised this issue which was a new hub which you have determined made no difference and I tend to agree and also I was advised to check all settings, which I did and there was no faults, and a reboot of the box which makes no difference either. 

Unfortunately 
I am still in contract so dont think I am entitled to the swap you've mentioned.  

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check the heartbeat light next time you have problems - if it's flashing, that's a fault and you're entitled for that to be fixed, almost certainly a replacement TiVo.

You can ask for a V6 swap and the worst VM can say is no.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks 

Yes it flashes everytime this happens,  I shall ring them and see what they say 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jules73,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you've got ongoing issues with accessing Apps on your TiVo box! I can understand how frustrating that must be for you!

Can you provide some examples of which Apps you're trying to access and what happens when you click on them? Is there an error on the screen at all? Does it get stuck on the loading screen?

Please let me know so we can look into this further,

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jules73 wrote:

Yes it flashes everytime this happens,  I shall ring them and see what they say 

Your box has a fault.

This flashing light means the onboard modem has a problem, this will affect all online functionality. @Paulina_Z  - when this happens, the OP will be unable to use any OnDemand or streaming services.