Menu
Markige
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why no Amazon Prime Video app??

I've been asked by VM Facebook to ask here why there isn't an amazon prime tv app on TiVo or even the new V6 box.

They are obviously deflecting and I'm getting pretty annoyed with their inability to be serious about anything or give any answers.

But does anybody here happen to know the answer? Are Amazon refusing Virgin the license? Or Virgin won't pay the fee??
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why no Amazon Prime Video app??

Multiple threads removed.

Please do not post multiple threads on the same subject. It won't get an answer any quicker.

VM staff normally take 2 - 3 days to answer posts.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why would virgin have an app from amazon when you do your own deal with them if you wish via the Internet it's nothing to do with virgin. This a forum for people with virgin services to help others with virgin problems. Contact amazon yourself & ask.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

As any negotiations between VM and Amazon would be commercially sensitive, no way your going to get an official response , other than a placatory "watch this space"

As VM have more to lose by letting a rival content provider onto their system, Id imagine its down to agreeing fees.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

From a 2014 article:

"Talks have begun with a view to the platform formerly known as Lovefilm to join Netflix as an app on TiVo boxes across the UK, according to Virgin Media's CEO Tom Mockridge.

Speaking at a Broadcasting Press Guild event in London he said "the honest answer is we have talked to them [and] we are certainly open to it, [but] It takes two to tango," before adding Amazon is still working out its proposition."

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/amazon-prime-instant-video-may-join-netflix-on-virgin-media-t...

Haven't seen a more recent article so unclear if talks have been abandoned or not and as @Kippies says it will all be commercially sensitive and nobody will be able to say anything until a deal is done.  Amazon haven't done deals to get Prime on Apple TV or Chromecast either as far as I know, so I'd suggest that Jeff Bezos playing hardball (as usual) is the reason it isn't happening.

If a deal is ever arranged I'm sure the VM marketing team won't be shy about it Smiley Happy

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

murof
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've been waiting for Virgin Media to sort this out.  They've had Netflix and others included for a long time.

The Amazon app been available on US tivo boxes for a long time too, so the app already exists.

I'm pretty sure, the only reason they haven't done it already is because they wouldn't be making enough money out of it.  

0 Kudos
bradleyem
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm a new (re) joiner to Virgin, and I've got the new user survey.

In several places, it refers to watching Amazon Prime through the Set Top Box.   So... is that telling us something?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi bradleyem,

Sorry but no update on this as of yet.

As soon as we have some news we'll let you know.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Markige
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello, Im guessing you meant to reply to me as I opened this thread asking the question. Is there any news yet?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Markige, 

No news I'm afraid. 

If and when we do join with Amazon for the app to be available, we shall let you know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos