Menu
HowLong
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Why has BBC 2 SD gone?

Following the (unwanted) renumbering, channel 102 is no longer BBC 2 standard definition, but BBC 2 HD.

Who thought this was acceptable? In the very rare cases where it made any difference, f I wanted to record something in HD, it was trivial to use the BBC 2 HD channel.

Now anything recorded is going to take up twice the space - is VirginMedia giving free upgrades to something with more disc space?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why has BBC 2 SD gone?

If you are in England you can find BBC2 SD on channel 865 so can continue to record in SD if required.  All my BBC2 series links automatically changed to 865.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

And for Wales and Northern Ireland where BBC 2 SD doesn't exist on Virgin Media now, that could only have happened with the BBC's agreement and/or direction.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
roddydogs
Up to speed
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Yes well done VM, now ive lost all my series links for channel 162, whos bright idea was this?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@roddydogs wrote:

Yes well done VM, now ive lost all my series links for channel 162, whos bright idea was this?

It was the BBC Trusts idea to close the regional versions of BBC2. There is now only a national version, which under the agreement with the BBC has taken the primary 102 slot. This has already happened on Satellite (Sky/Freesat), so if anything VM have been lagging behind with the changes.

The Series links cannot be changed automatically in this situation as there were 4 BBC2 channel ID's on the network & now there is only one, so the boxes don't see the old BBC2 & the new one as the same channel.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

It was the BBC Trusts idea to close the regional versions of BBC2. There is now only a national version, which under the agreement with the BBC has taken the primary 102 slot. This has already happened on Satellite (Sky/Freesat), so if anything VM have been lagging behind with the changes.

What's happened is slightly the other way around. The previous national BBC Two HD has been replaced on Virgin Media by new regional versions for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The updated BBC Two HD England is also in Scotland.

As part of those changes BBC Two SD has closed in Wales and Northern Ireland on Virgin Media.

BBC Two SD currently still exists in England and Scotland at the moment, and is in the 102 slot in Scotland. I think this is connect to the fact Scotland won't get a regional version of BBC Two in HD. Their alternative HD channel will be BBC Scotland when that launches next year.

It's possible that after BBC Scotland launches, BBC Two SD will also close on Virgin Media in England and Scotland, but that's just my own view.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Rillington
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I think it's worth making people aware that a HD recording requires at least five times the amount of space compared to a SD recording so if you only have a basic Tivo box it will fill up very quickly if you record programmes in HD.

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Rillington wrote:

I think it's worth making people aware that a HD recording requires at least five times the amount of space compared to a SD recording so if you only have a basic Tivo box it will fill up very quickly if you record programmes in HD.

I think it would be worth you checking this with some specific examples before posting it again. Since the MPEG4 changes, the differential between SD & HD has vastly reduced and think you'll find it's nowhere near the multiple of 5 you claim.

It should be easy enough to find a program on, say, ITV/C4/C5, record it in SD & HD simultaneously and check the resultant file sizes. When you choose the program from "my shows", press "Info" and scroll down to the bottom where the file size is listed. When you discover it's not x5, feel free to post back on here correcting your misinformation 😉

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Rillington wrote:

MPEG2 compression uses 5 times as much space with HD as SD. However, in order to start transmitting UHD Virgin has moved all broadcast streams to MPEG4, which happens to have 5 times the compression of MPEG2. So the HD capacity should now be equal to the old SD capacity.

https://www.winxdvd.com/answers/mpeg2-vs-mpeg4.htm

Use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I have 44 HD recordings currently on my box and it's 21% full so you should get over 200 recordings on a V6 and 100ish on a 500mb tivo 

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos