Menu
gmh
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Watching Tivo v6 from another room

We have 4 Tivo V6 boxes connected via the router using powerline - ie not wifi.  All boxes can see the other boxes.  BUT if we watch recordings on one particular box from any of the other 3 boxes the picture and sound freeze every few seconds and then start up again.  No problems at all watching any of the other boxes.  The problem box can play recordings on any of the other boxes with no freezing.  This would imply that there is no fault with the powerline or the router or the other boxes.  I suspect that there is a fault in the particular Tivo V6 box which only affects the outgoing streaming and not the incoming streaming.  We have tried all the usual - re-pairing the powerline plugs, re-setting the V6 box, re-starting the router etc.  I should add that the problem V6 box works fine when watching recorded programs on its own TV, so there is nothing wrong with the recordings.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Watching Tivo v6 from another room

Go to help and then try a speedtest on it

0 Kudos
gmh
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry - can't find any "speedtest" options

0 Kudos
gmh
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

and now we have problems watching other boxes from the problematic one.  We have changed the powerline plug, changed the connecting cable, tried using the powerline plug in a totally different electric socket ... all to no avail.  Perfectly normal picture and sound for a few seconds, then a momentary pause, then OK for another few seconds ...etc etc.  One would almost think it were a buffering issue, except that the lapses are not evenly timed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Although this may not seem helpful, I wouldn’t have any confidence in interconnecting 4 V6s by powerlines which are dependent on your electricity wiring.

In your situation, I would probably consider hardwiring one (moving the router if necessary) and connecting at least one, maybe two of the other three by WiFi.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is the reason virgin limit the V6 to only 3 boxes, no idea how the OP managed to get 4
gmh
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hard-wiring one box and the rest on Wi-Fi is not an option in this house.  Our electrical supply/cabling is fine, so no problem with that.  We are on Cable Virgin (not BT-line Virgin) and get 200 mps so no problem with "load" on the router.  We only ever watch one or sometimes two boxes at any one time so over-load is not the issue.  I understand that that is the problem with more than 3 boxes connected to the router. Anyway - it is only ONE specific box that gives rise to the problems, never the other 3.  I still suspect that that box is faulty.  Thanks for all the replies to date.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For me the issue is not the router, it's the powerline connected to the router which is the bottleneck in your configuration. This is why I suggest reducing the load on it by reducing the number of powerline connected devices.

Given you suspect  one of the V6s, the correct action would be to move it and see if the problem moves with it.

0 Kudos
gmh
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am loathe to move the boxes from one Virgin cable to another, in case the recognition of the boxes by Virgin depends on which cable is linked to which.  In the meantime I have tried completely disconnecting one of the boxes (switched off, unplugged from electric supply, disconnected from Virgin cable and the powerline unplugged) to remove one of the 4 boxes from the system, leaving only 3 connected.  Still the same problem.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The speedtest is on the help page at the top
0 Kudos