Menu
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WORLDBOX

The Worldbox app will be withdrawn by Virgin Media on 1st February 2019.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WORLDBOX

Probably because they want to strive for more diversity by having less diversity.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

like it or not diversity costs money.

as for worldbox there have been numerous issues with it the past few months. i stopped bothering as i only had a vague interest in a couple of shows.
0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And the loss or lack of diversity means less subscribers.

If there were ongoing technical problems with Worldbox these should have been addressed and not ignored or if VM technology could not cope with the service it shouldn't have originally been offered.

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

'lack of diversity means less subscribers'

the very few that use it, i think virgin will be able to deal with any losses. i've discussed worldbox elsewhere, no one knew what i was going on about. the few previous threads on here have stated that customer services have not known what it is.

0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jamesofmerton wrote:

the very few that use it, i think virgin will be able to deal with any losses. i've discussed worldbox elsewhere, no one knew what i was going on about. the few previous threads on here have stated that customer services have not known what it is.

Yes, I've had that experience with customer services on more than one occasion. Worldbox was always very poorly promoted. But with the french channel TV5 also being removed soon, Virgin Media now lag way behind with their selection of foreign tv stations compared to SKY and the new services due via FreeSat.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@zilch wrote:

@jamesofmerton wrote:

Yes, I've had that experience with customer services on more than one occasion. Worldbox was always very poorly promoted. But with the french channel TV5 also being removed soon, Virgin Media now lag way behind with their selection of foreign tv stations compared to SKY and the new services due via FreeSat.

TV5 is being removed from all platforms in the UK. https://www.a516digital.com/2018/11/tv5-monde-departs-from-uk-satellite-and.html

This will probably be an ongoing process, as linear channel carriage charges increase year on year it is far cheaper for channels to use their own apps & have a presence on the internet (for which they can charge). BREXIT won't help the situation either, as the Europe wide legislation that currently prevents any EU country stopping another countries transmissions from being received may no longer apply.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

zilch
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Which in turn will affect UK based channels  broadcasting in Europe. However, I have noticed numerous apps that carry European tv stations completely free of charge.

0 Kudos