cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin splitter

Mike8001
Joining in

Canceled cable TV cut-off date ends June 2022. Can I disconnect the splitter and plug the single cable, which comes into the house through the wall, into the virgin router. All I want is broadband.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can try but the splitter alters the signal levels coming from the cabinet which may require an engineer visit to resolve.

When you cancel one service, you will be supplied with a terminator cap which you should use to terminate the unused co-ax port, rather than remove the splitter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can try but the splitter alters the signal levels coming from the cabinet which may require an engineer visit to resolve.

When you cancel one service, you will be supplied with a terminator cap which you should use to terminate the unused co-ax port, rather than remove the splitter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

It's the right thing to connect directly to the hub if the cable is long enough. Should your broadband be unsatisfactory make a post in the Speed board.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for the replies greatly appreciate your interest.

I'm still confused do I have to live with the splitter and the two cables?  I'm no longer using the Virgin TV V6 Box. I know I will be supplied with packaging to return the box but would I get details of what to do with the cables/splitter? Would like to have just one cable from the wall to the router. It's difficult to explain the reason why, it's complicated. Do you know an engineer in the Nottingham area who could call by to sort it, happy to pay.

Go with your suggestion of removing the splitter and connecting the hub to the cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Remove the splitter & try it. Removing it results in 3.5dB gain in signal level (equivalent to you being 10 metres closer to the street cabinet). If you are already close to it your downstream level will rocket & you will lose speed or worse get dropouts. If this happens simply re-insert the splitter & carry on as you were.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993