cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow original Tivo box

djr_uk
Up to speed

Hello there,

An elderly friend of mine is a virgin media customer and has had the same tivo box since around 2011. He has had serious issues with it over the past few years where it'll reboot itself constantly and generally is incredibly slow and cannot do much! it takes forever to even change the channel haha.

I have done all the "tricks" recommended to try and fix it for him and we've got an engineer out but all they did was replace his superhub with the superhub 3. My friend isn't very comfortable on the phone so is just tolerating it as always! 

My question is will virgin media eventually replace all the old virgin tivo boxes and get everyone on the tivo v6? Will people who have had the same box for close to 11 plus years be charged for a new box even if its so old and slow? 

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the TiVo is rebooting, that's a fault and should be reported. Unfortunately, you can only expect a like-for-like replacement.

If your friend has VM broadband, they meet the requirement for a V6 and would undoubtedly benefit from changing. The most reliable method is to follow the package re-grade route - I.e. to re-sign onto a current bundle deal in exchange for a new 18month contract and box-swap.

You can ask for a swap if you report the TiVo faulty, but it would be at VM's discretion and only a like-for-like swap can be expected - it's not the quickest box but does remain fully supported.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi djr_uk,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear your friend is experiencing issues with their TiVo box.

I'm happy to take a closer look to see if there are any issues from our side, I'll just need a few details before I can so I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks very much for sending those details over via private message 🙂

I've been through diagnostics and some of the boxes tuners are out of specification, I've arranged for an engineer to visit.

He'll be able to view the time and date of the appointment via his online account here

Alex_Rm

Sorry my friend cancelled the appointment due to having a doctors appointment first thing in the morning. Is there a way to get another appointment? Sorry. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to make sure... did they specifically cancel it? As opposed to re-arranging it?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

He got a text and cancelled it expecting to get further options ! He’s not particularly good at this stuff hence why I try and do it for him haha

Hi once you cancel an engineer appointment you will have to make arrangements for another one. Regards Micky

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @djr_uk,

Did you manage to get the appointment re-arranged?  If not we are able to arrange this for you. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi @zak_m i havent been able to re-arrange it yet!