Menu
Dogballs999
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 noise... Again.

Hello, I've read many posts about this but no definite answer.

I upgraded to a V6 yesterday a d am disappointed by the noise coming from it.

It's either a fan or hard drive.. Or both.

At night, I'll have the tv set at volume number 4, perfectly acceptable for me to hear without disturbing anyone. But with this new box, I have to crank up the volume to drown out the annoying whirring.

Similarly, this morning, the normal silent living room has a the whirring noise. It's kind of like a VHS player playing a tape.

I'm not sticking my head next to it. I'm a good 3 metres away.

Is it faulty?

Please don't insult me by saying it's got a hard drive and a fan. My old TiVo had a hard drive and fan, and was pretty much silent.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 noise... Again.

I had V+HD boxes before moving to the V6 & the new boxes are far quieter.

When first installed, the bedroom box HDD would fire up occasionally but had a habit of running for 2 hours continually at 4am.

I recently done a Reboot of this box (Help & Settings, Reset TiVO) & it hasn't done it since.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Dogballs999
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks yes, I just tried a reboot and a total format. It's still the same.

I've booked an engineer to come next week to have a look. If he/she can't do anything, or tells me this is normal, then I'm sending it back and plugging in my old TiVo.

Sitting here trying to read a book earlier and had to physically unplug it.

Sounds ridiculous but its like a having a lawnmower on 10 doors down the street. It's not loud enough to be a nuisance, but is very irritating.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All I get from both my boxes is a low hiss, so the box may be faulty. I hope it is as you cannot just "plug in" the old box, which will now be wiped off VM's systems & not useable. This is a precaution to prevent boxes being used fraudulently.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Dogballs999
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the input.

Out of interest, do you have to put your ear up to the box to hear the low hiss? Or can you hear it for 3 or 4 metres away when the room is quiet?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes you can hear it several metres away, but it is easily drowned out by any other noise in the room.

0 Kudos
av-115
Super solver
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Could be a faulty fan. As nodrogd said, they are quiet boxes and aren't usually audible over TV even at a low volume.

I would add that the TiVo box doesn't have a fan, but when I had one I found the HDD to be very loud, much worse than the V6 and even V+ for that matter.

If you lift the box up and hold it, is the noise reduced? May be worth purchasing some acoustic feet if so.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dogballs999,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you've had trouble with your V6 box.

Let us know how the technician appointment goes and give me a shout if you need anything else.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Dogballs999
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No, the noise isn't reduced when picked up, it's a constant from inside the box. I already tried it on a foam mouse mat. Didn't help.

The engineer comes tomorrow. I'll see what he or she has to say.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Dogballs999
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Engineer came and replaced the box, he said mine was running too hot.

The new box sounds exactly the same, I guess its just how they are.

It's going back and i'm off on to Freeview.

Bye.

0 Kudos