Menu
JohnK55
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unable to connect to Netflix

After being pestered by my daughter I have created a Netflix account, unfortunately I can't seem to connect through my TIVO box .

I've tried to access via channel 204 & then the red button & also using the app on the TIVO menu, both times it just sits there for a while then flashes up a message saying unable to connect to Netflix try again later.

Any idea what the problem is & how I can sort it?

alexeix
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect to Netflix

I have exactly the same problem. 

I signed up for a Netflix trial earlier in the week and still haven’t actually been able to use it. 

I’ve tried to access Netflix through the app on the TiVo and via channel 204 - same result as you. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This problem is well understood and comes down to the TiVo not having sufficient resources to run Netflix reliably.

The answer is to upgrade to the V6 box and you should use this issue to convince Virgin Media, via their Retentions department, to provide an upgrade at a reasonable cost.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
alexeix
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And the answer is here: 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Tivo-box-not-connecting-to-Netflix/m-p/3818736#M17017...

Summing up, the Tivo isn’t up to the job. 

Pretty useless really - the software should check the hardware and then NOT display netflix as an option. 

0 Kudos
alexeix
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There’s no way to transfer recordings from my current box to any new one, as I found when our previous box failed. 

Hence why I don’t want to upgrade. 

When I last renewed, I was offered a certain price for my contract, but I recently noticed that they’re billing me more. 

However, it’s such a pain in the *rse to actually speak to someone from their UK call centre, who actually gives a toss (as opposed to the overseas ones, which are completely useless in my experience), that I can’t bring myself to call them. 

But that’s a separate issue... 😬

0 Kudos
JohnK55
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, I'm going to have a think about what to do next, I tried to get one of the free V6 boxes that were being offered a few months ago but every time I tried I got an error message telling me they couldn't do the requested action online & to call them (this is the same message I always get when I want to have a look at what offers & upgrades are available)  I eventually relented & called 3 times in all, but was on the phone for so long waiting for a response I gave up!!

The other issue is that I also have a V+ box in the bedroom which I would imagine has the same problem (not actually tried but as it's older tech I'm not expecting it to work)

0 Kudos
alexeix
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheap solution: get an Amazon firetv stick - with black Monday coming up, I’m sure there will be deals to be had. 

To my surprise, I found that my Amazon FireTV box has a Netflix app. 

Just make sure that the stick supports the app first (although I expect it does). 

0 Kudos
JohnK55
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Definitely considering Amazon Fire Box, now weighing up options as to binning VM tv & going with Freeview, just need to look at what channels I'll lose & whether it's worth it!

0 Kudos