cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra HD

gport
Joining in

I received an email saying I could access the ultra hd channel 999 or 228 from the 18th dec.
well I can't, so it seems that I do not have an up to date box, I have been a Virgin media customer from the beginning, NTL before that and cable and wireless before that. my question is why do I suffer outdated tech from Virgin when I have been a loyal customer for years and new customers get all the new stuff and pay less than me. I have broadband, TV, Phone and mobile with Virgin and I get a second rate service. I have put this in TiVo service because my box is so old I haven't a clue what it is. ps tried to complain on Virgin website but no complaints service available. Rant over, will be looking at other providers after Xmas.

11 REPLIES 11

MatthewS1993
Dialled in

You would need a V6 box and a UHD tv to use these channels, V6 would be a small box?

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I initially moved your post to an existing thread discussing the problems with the Ultra-HD channel, but your issue is different so I've moved it back to the TiVo board. You can view the different boxes on this page 

The TiVo box that you may have doesn't support UHD - it never has, and won't. The offer of a freebie on the UHD channel has no bearing on that either.

If you're outside your minimum contractual term and have VM broadband (which is a requirement) you are quite free to renegotiate your package bundle and either upgrade to a V6 (much newer box running the same software as your TiVo) or convert to a 360 (newer software - very different), both of which support UHD.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gport

Thanks for posting. Apologies for the confusion. I shall send you a PM to discuss the complaint further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Note to virgin.

If sending an email to your customers offering them UHD channels for free, include the information that the Tivo box doesn't suport them!

Would have saved a lot of hassle.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roblightbody wrote:

If sending an email to your customers offering them UHD channels for free, include the information that the Tivo box doesn't suport them!

Out of interest, do you have a copy of the email you received? Can you post it up here?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I have and had a similar problem with Virgin Media, I to am a very long standing customer and also received the same offer as yourself. But I am a but luckier in that I have a V6 and a TiVo so I can get the ultra HD channel on one of the boxes.

I problem was I got an e-mailed black Friday offer from customer services. After considering it I decided to accept the offer and then never heard anything. After I contacted customer services it would appear the offer did not apply to me and they had cancelled it, with out telling me.

It would appear they could upgrade my V6 software to take up the offer, but not my TiVo and they wanted me to pay £25 for a new remote for the V6 and did say anything about my TiVo box and what would happen to it.

I left it that, so I now have 2 virgin boxes and like you will not be able to take up any offers, because they will not upgrade me!

Isn't it wonderful how virgin media customer services know how to really **bleep** off very long standing and so far loyal customers and they do not care!

If the moderators of these forums want to pass on my comments to the powers that be, then I am quite happy for them to do so, as I also be looking around for other suppliers when my contract comes to an end.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@malbin wrote:.

It would appear they could upgrade my V6 software to take up the offer, but not my TiVo and they wanted me to pay £25 for a new remote for the V6 and did say anything about my TiVo box and what would happen to it

The V6 supports UHD without needing any software changes, so you're talking about something else here.

You've mentioned a new remote, so I suspect you're talking about converting your V6 into a 360, which would also involve your TiVo being swapped for a 360-mini without a hard drive.

360 is not TiVo - so be very clear what you're being offered and/or accepting.

Edited to add: when you're out of contract, that's the perfect time to compare prices of alternative suppliers and negotiate with VM fully armed with your facts & figures. And speaking to them fully prepared, is the best way of getting a good outcome.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@malbin 

If you did want to convert to a 360 then as japitts said your TIVO would be swapped out for a mini 360 which doesn't have a hard drive.

It would be best to upgrade the TIVO to a V6 first, that way you keep the recording function on both boxes.

Then later swap both V6 boxes over to the 360 platform. You would receive 2 360 remotes to update the boxes for a one of charge of £25 (you don't have to pay the charge for both remotes)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali