cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ukrainian refugees

JanWojtowicz
Tuning in

Hi, we are hosting a mother and daughter from Ukraine due to the war and refugee crisis. I can see virgin has some Ukrainian TV and wanted to know how to get it. Also wanted to know who to get a separate box and connection in my house so they can have their own TV. Trying to use the automated responses or chat is proving worthless. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JanWojtowicz wrote:

I can see virgin has some Ukrainian TV and wanted to know how to get it.

Where have you seen this? I'm not aware of any Ukrainian-specific foreign language channels.

On the subject of an additional multiroom TV box, then that box will need its own separate co-ax cable connection which will need an engineer installation if not already present.

Multiroom boxes are usually an extra ~£10/month or so on-top of your existing subscription, but costs can vary substantially depending on your current package. Unfortunately for yourself, package change queries can't be dealt with via this forum so you will need to call in to discuss your specific bundle deal and what any cost would be. What's the problem you're having with the automated system? I ask because quite often, once you've chosen your options - pressing nothing more and just waiting on the line, is the answer.

You might also want to look at the TV Go app which lets you view many channels from your package, on a compatible mobile device and may provide a good solution for now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JanWojtowicz wrote:

I can see virgin has some Ukrainian TV and wanted to know how to get it.

Where have you seen this? I'm not aware of any Ukrainian-specific foreign language channels.

On the subject of an additional multiroom TV box, then that box will need its own separate co-ax cable connection which will need an engineer installation if not already present.

Multiroom boxes are usually an extra ~£10/month or so on-top of your existing subscription, but costs can vary substantially depending on your current package. Unfortunately for yourself, package change queries can't be dealt with via this forum so you will need to call in to discuss your specific bundle deal and what any cost would be. What's the problem you're having with the automated system? I ask because quite often, once you've chosen your options - pressing nothing more and just waiting on the line, is the answer.

You might also want to look at the TV Go app which lets you view many channels from your package, on a compatible mobile device and may provide a good solution for now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JanWojtowicz wrote:

Hi, we are hosting a mother and daughter from Ukraine due to the war and refugee crisis. I can see virgin has some Ukrainian TV and wanted to know how to get it. Also wanted to know who to get a separate box and connection in my house so they can have their own TV. Trying to use the automated responses or chat is proving worthless. Thanks. 

Virgin used to carry a Ukrainian channel as part of its Worldbox offering. Sadly, this is no longer available (it was withdrawn from TiVO boxes in 2018).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Thanks for this. It looks like it was withdrawn a few years ago. Talking to Virgin was a waste as they just wanted to sell me a larger package that contained channels from countries but not Ukraine. Thanks again. 🙂

Many thanks for this. 🙂

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Access to Ukrainian TV is almost impossible from the UK via conventional means.

The vast majority are carried on the Astra 4A satellite, which is only usable with a large dish on the East Coast of Norfolk. For the rest of the UK the footprint is over the horizon.

Some channels were available Free-to-Air through Hotbird 13 which is receivable in the UK. However, this was a buy product of a feed of Discovery channels to Russian TV platforms. Discovery has now removed this loophole as part of Russian sanctions so the Ukranian services are also no longer available.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Many thanks. Think they will have to use Youtube or similar. Thanks again. 🙂

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @JanWojtowicz 

Just a headsup from an article I've just read online 

https://advanced-television.com/2022/03/31/times-now-navbharat-zoom-on-freeview/ 

'the Ukrainian news channel has also gone live on Freeview via Channelbox. The news and information channel is produced jointly by the 1+1 International, Rada, Ukraine 24, Inter +, ICTV, UATV, and Suspilne media companies. Its purpose is to provide accurate and impartial news from across Ukraine, and to debunk disinformation and fake news that is being propagated about events in the country. The news service is also a vital link with home for the estimated four million Ukrainian citizens who have fled the country as the war has spread.'

If you have a compatable Freeview TV/set top box it's via IPTV on channel  271

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There were rumours going round of it being available on Freeview, though without a broadcast licence the channel could not take a conventional broadcast slot. Going the IPTV route the output can carry a disclaimer that the channel is not UK controlled.

Hi thanks for that information, will have a look at the Freeview route. Appreciated. 🙂