cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning tivio box off rather than leaving on stand by?

VIPerson
Up to speed

With rising energy costs hitting the headlines I was wondering if turning the Tivio box would be one way of saving money? If so why haven't VM advised this surely they must care about their customers? Or are they so uncaring we can starve and freeze?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

If you want to turn it off when not in use, then feel free to. It is advised to leave it on in standby because software and firmware updates are generally pushed out over night.

So if you turn it back on in the morning and it flaps around for 30 minutes or so downloading a missed update and then wants a reboot, all before you can settle down and watch morning TV, many people wouldn't be too happy!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jem101
Superstar

If you want to turn it off when not in use, then feel free to. It is advised to leave it on in standby because software and firmware updates are generally pushed out over night.

So if you turn it back on in the morning and it flaps around for 30 minutes or so downloading a missed update and then wants a reboot, all before you can settle down and watch morning TV, many people wouldn't be too happy!

Thank you for the quick response I'll leave it on for the time being as I often have to reboot it for pixilation issues - another question for another day!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@VIPerson wrote:

Thank you for the quick response I'll leave it on for the time being as I often have to reboot it for pixilation issues

I could include my copy & paste answer for all pixellation queries, but I'll just leave it that your VM install has a fault somewhere that's causing that...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks