cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer TiVo box settings and recordings to new box

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just got a new TiVo box to replace the old faulty one and want to transfer my recordings and settings. I understand it's not possible to transfer the recordings because of licensing restrictions, but surely VirginMedia is able to do this because it has deactivated my old box. I have read elsewhere that it IS possible to transfer recordings by plugging the old box via ethernet cable into my router...

Also, I have tried several times now to copy my settings and series links via https://manage-virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/tivo/boxswap/copy/ and it is has not worked, despite saying 'Success' each time and that it will take 30 minutes.

Please help.

I am absolutely exasperated with Virgin Media's useless phone support, waiting hours and hours in their sodding queue because they don't think their customers are worth giving them a better service, and the fact that they refer customers to a forum in lieu of proper support stinks.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi GrumpPot,

I'm really sorry to inform you that it's not been possible to transfer recordings between boxes, and unfortunately the transferring of settings and series links has been broken for over 6 months now.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have issues with recordings, then there's usually one of 2 causes:

Signal issues causing pixellation of the picture, this will affect live TV

Problems with the hard drive that would affect all non-live content.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

And why can't you transfer RECORDINGS from one box to another? I've read that it's due to licencing restrictions. but seeing as you activate/deactivate boxes anyway, this wouldn't ever be a problem surely?

The agreements with the broadcasters allow recordings for “time shifting” purposes only. This means the recording is classed as temporary & is non transferable in any format. It can be streamed from the device it is stored on, but must not be copied. The only way round this is cloud storage of recordings which the new Horizon platform is capable of, but has not been implemented in the UK or Ireland. Bear in mind that cloud storage gives the broadcasters even more scope to manipulate the way you watch your recordings (viewing time limits & ability to remove internal advertising).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is anything listed on 0800 5610061?

I'm not sure if SNR faults are reported on there, but it's worth a shot.

39 REPLIES 39

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi GrumpPot,

I'm really sorry to inform you that it's not been possible to transfer recordings between boxes, and unfortunately the transferring of settings and series links has been broken for over 6 months now.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Anonymous
Not applicable

Additionally, recordings on the new box are very badly pixelated, despite the original live TV being fine. I have spent hours and hours trying to get Virgin to fix it and, despite sending two engineers and getting a new (not 6) tivo box, I still have this problem, although at least live TV with the new box isn't a problem at the moment.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

Additionally, recordings on the new box are very badly pixelated, despite the original live TV being fine. I have spent hours and hours trying to get Virgin to fix it and, despite sending two engineers and getting a new (not 6) tivo box, I still have this problem, although at least live TV with the new box isn't a problem at the moment.

Check to see whether you have a problem if you pause or rewind live TV. If you do, you might just have problem with the hard drive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Pausing/rewinding live TV is all fine. A film on Channel 4 I recorded yesterday is so awful that I can't watch it, but something on BBC 1 I recorded earlier is fine.

It's frustrating because every time I do manage to speak to someone at Virgin, I start from scratch and get told something completely different every time. That's why I got the new box, because they haven't got a clue basically.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have issues with recordings, then there's usually one of 2 causes:

Signal issues causing pixellation of the picture, this will affect live TV

Problems with the hard drive that would affect all non-live content.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. They checked/adjusted input levels on the old box - that made no difference. They've now replaced the box and pixelation is affecting SOME recorded programmes only...

So we're pretty much back at square but having now lost all my recordings, series links, and settings. Whoopee.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why, if it's not possible to transfer settings etc between TiVo boxes, does Virgin still give you the option to here: http://manage-virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/tivo/

Virgin - how about you answer this one instead of passing the buck and letting people answer for you on a forum?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. They checked/adjusted input levels on the old box - that made no difference. They've now replaced the box and pixelation is affecting SOME recorded programmes only...

Is there any pattern to this? Like, is it particular channels? Can you watch those channels live?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi japitts,

No it's completely random. Pixelation was awful. They sent a replacement tivo box (not 6 - I have an old TV) which seemed to fix it, but I couldn't use it for very long because that box packed up - it gets stuck in a start up loop and never gets any further.

So I put the old box back and everything seemed fine for a week or so, then a little pixelation has crept back in. Completely random, but mostly everything - live and recorded - is bearable to watch.

Worst is BBC iPlayer which keeps freezing and eventually crashing, despite watching the lower quality video and turning off beta setting.

One engineer has suggested it's that the TV is too old, but I don't think it is as for the most part everything is fine and the problem is only there when using the TiVo box. It definitely seems like it's the signal more than anything else. Updating my TV may be an option but it's not a guarantee and a rather expensive option.

I've had two engineers now, both of whom haven't had a clue and just changed bits of cable and tightened screws here and there, nothing to actually find out and address the real problem.

I'll have to leave Virgin at this rate as I'm just not getting a decent TV service and Virgin isn't REALLY helping.