Menu
MrsE34
On our wavelength
Message 81 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info

I try to keep one channel on BBC1 so my husband can rewind the news if he happens to be around and has missed the start. I certainly don't want to put the news on series link! I would often flick between the tuners to see if I wanted to watch anything and rewind it. I'm surprised this has been done to speed things up. I honestly haven't noticed any increase in speed. And I certainly would rather have the 3 tuners than an imperceptible increase in speed. 

japitts
Knows their stuff
Message 82 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@MrsE34 wrote:

I try to keep one channel on BBC1 so my husband can rewind the news if he happens to be around and has missed the start. I certainly don't want to put the news on series link! I would often flick between the tuners to see if I wanted to watch anything and rewind it. I'm surprised this has been done to speed things up. I honestly haven't noticed any increase in speed. And I certainly would rather have the 3 tuners than an imperceptible increase in speed. 

So my box got the update overnight and sure enough... on balance my initial thoughts are that I'd prefer to at the least, have the choice of this being enabled or not.

However... this particular example seems one of many that could easily be solved by just recording the news. And flicking between upto 3 channels to see if anything's on, I'd have thought that's close to "needle in haystack" theory as far as chancing on good shows goes.

Personally I found the multi-tuner option very useful when there's multiple sporting events on simultaneously that you want to keep half-an-eye on. But I'd usually have recorded each event anyway, so I just have to mentally know which channel each is on, flick between each using the channel number, while also having a recording of each to fall back on. Not a huge inconvenience, and if it encourages the user to just record everything, I don't see it as a big problem.

But yes, it would have been nice to have this option user-selectable.

MrsE34
On our wavelength
Message 83 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote

However... this particular example seems one of many that could easily be solved by just recording the news. And flicking between upto 3 channels to see if anything's on, I'd have thought that's close to "needle in haystack" theory as far as chancing on good shows goes.

Personally I found the multi-tuner option very useful when there's multiple sporting events on simultaneously that you want to keep half-an-eye on. But I'd usually have recorded each event anyway, so I just have to mentally know which channel each is on, flick between each using the channel number, while also having a recording of each to fall back on. Not a huge inconvenience, and if it encourages the user to just record everything, I don't see it as a big problem.

If I flick between channels, none of them will have been recording so I don't have the ability to rewind any of them. I already said I don't want to have the news on series link, imagine how many news items would record! Also, it's a case of IF my husband is around and IF it happens to be around the time for the news, if he's missed the start it doesn't matter.

I would also flick between tuners while the adverts were on, if I did that now, I might miss some of the original programme if I don't get the timing right. I don't want to record every single thing. It might not be a big deal for you, but it is for me.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 84 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@MrsE34 wrote:

@japitts wrote

If I flick between channels, none of them will have been recording so I don't have the ability to rewind any of them. I already said I don't want to have the news on series link, imagine how many news items would record! Also, it's a case of IF my husband is around and IF it happens to be around the time for the news, if he's missed the start it doesn't matter.

I would also flick between tuners while the adverts were on, if I did that now, I might miss some of the original programme if I don't get the timing right. I don't want to record every single thing. It might not be a big deal for you, but it is for me.

With regards to the News, you could set a Series Link with a "keep at most" of 2 episodes and the recordings to be deleted if space is needed, then it it would only ever have a max of the last 2 news 'epsodes' - and if the news had just started then there'd still be the previous one as a full recording.

That way it wouldn't fill up your disk.

Keith

Superuser1718.png

chops
Rising star
Message 85 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Sure there are workarounds to replace the missing feature of having the 3 tuners continually automatically recording 3 different channels, however they are a lot less convenient to use and require many more button presses to achieve something similar. Previously it was so easy to channel hop between the 3 tuners and where there were programme clashes quickly catch up one hour later without having to deliberately pre-record anything.

As stated previously, this change is a bit late in the day to try and speed up the sluggish TiVo and will result in more customer complaints as the roll-out of the software continues.

Buggytivo
On our wavelength
Message 86 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Trouble for me was alarming frequency these almighty blunder keep happen all times. Used to every 6 months one thing or other broken but now not even is 3 months since UKTV messed up and they trash TiVo!. Messing with working arounds might be for some but eventually it is flogged dead horse time to move on.

carnivalist
Superfast
Message 87 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@keithse wrote:

@carnivalist wrote:

T

@keithse wrote:

@Pamela-- wrote:

Yes, but we lose our recorded programmes- this has happened to me twice before. Won't have tivo box back if they want to replace it! Will find a way to save some of the recordings (I can do this with Panasonic recorder again) 

But if you leave VM then you'll lose your recordings as well!   Unless you've archived them off to your Panasonic (which you're not really meant to do), in which case you could change to a V6 because you'd have saved your recordings!

You can also keep your old TiVo alongside the V6 for a little while (for a small charge) and then watch the older recordings from it before returning it.

Keith

The charge is £9 plus £100 if they won't remove the installation fee. That is not a small charge if you are on a low income. Getting a second box will trigger a new contract, so you have to keep both boxes for a year, which means at least an extra £108 = £208 if you're unlucky.

Add to that the cost of a new TV if you don't already have a 2nd one. Kind of pointless having both boxes connected to the same TV.

Whilst I agree the install cost for a V6 could be prohibitive if the customer can't negotiate it down, I was suggesting that the "2nd box" charge isn't for a month or two while the recordings still on it are watched and cleared, then the TiVo could be returned to VM and the contract revert to single box only (V6).

There is no need for a 2nd TV as the recordings can be streamed from the TiVo to the V6 and hence the TiVo doesn't need a TV connected for the remaining recordings to be watched.

You would not have to keep both boxes for a year (but would probably have to have a 12 month contract for the V6 if you got it installed  cheaply).

This would be a partial solution. However I explicitly asked if I could do this and was told that I had to keep both boxes for a year as it would be a new contract.

If this is not the case then I would still have to pay extra for an indeterminate time in order to do what I could do for no extra cost before the stupid update. Typical VM.

0 Kudos
carnivalist
Superfast
Message 88 of 142
Flag for a moderator

This is my major gripe with VM. So often they implement a change that leads to stress and frustration - or fail to implement a change which has much the same infuriating effects. Why dpn't they plan things better? Even - god forbid - canvass customer opinion about proposed changes?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 89 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@carnivalist wrote:

This is my major gripe with VM. So often they implement a change that leads to stress and frustration - or fail to implement a change which has much the same infuriating effects. Why dpn't they plan things better? Even - god forbid - canvass customer opinion about proposed changes?

Again, good points, but it's entirely possible they DID canvas customer opinion!  We just weren't necessarily on that panel of people canvassed, and for all we know that panel came out in favour of the change!

Everyone complaining on this thread, by its very nature, is bound to be against the change and have previously made use of the 3 buffer functionality, but i'm afraid that doesn't mean it is representative of the whole customer base.

This is a support forum and so is going to end up being "populated" by a higher percentage of people that are unhappy with the service/changes/prices/performance than the percentage of people that are unhappy when the whole set of customers is accounted for.  Much like the unhappy Sky, BT, etc. customers on their respective support forums.

Keith

Superuser1718.png

chops
Rising star
Message 90 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@keithse wrote:

@carnivalist wrote:

Again, good points, but it's entirely possible they DID canvas customer opinion!  We just weren't necessarily on that panel of people canvassed, and for all we know that panel came out in favour of the change!

Everyone complaining on this thread, by its very nature, is bound to be against the change and have previously made use of the 3 buffer functionality, but i'm afraid that doesn't mean it is representative of the whole customer base.

This is a support forum and so is going to end up being "populated" by a higher percentage of people that are unhappy with the service/changes/prices/performance than the percentage of people that are unhappy when the whole set of customers is accounted for.  Much like the unhappy Sky, BT, etc. customers on their respective support forums.

Keith

It's also entirely possible and probably more likely that they DIDN'T canvas customer opinion or consider the consequences this change would cause to users. It seems that  the roll out is being spread over several months and as this continues the complaints will increase so we don't know if the number of complaints so far is only a fraction of what's to come. Also we don't know how many calls are being made to the call handlers in India about this.

Remember that for every one customer who bothers to complain they will be10X more who don't but move their custom elsewhere.