Menu
Reply
  • 35
  • 1
  • 7
kayjayr
On our wavelength
290 Views
Message 71 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info

Don't want to set a series link for them, as I don't record them, I just want to watch them in delay, fast forward through ads & then be able to switch over & rewind to the beginning of another channel.
  • 2.14K
  • 153
  • 562
Superuser
Superuser
287 Views
Message 72 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info


@kayjayr wrote:
Don't want to set a series link for them, as I don't record them, I just want to watch them in delay, fast forward through ads & then be able to switch over & rewind to the beginning of another channel.

But if you set series links that's exactly what you will be able to do!

Effectively you'll be buffering them concurrently as they'll all be being recorded - then you can watch them and skip adverts etc. (with the added bonus that they'll be recorded if you happen to be out when they're on).

Keith

Superuser1718.png

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 771
  • 17
  • 125
chops
Rising star
282 Views
Message 73 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info

What doesn't seem to make sense is why, after 6 years of TiVo and with it's newer V6 replacement in use, only now towards the end of its lifecycle do VM decide that they want to try and make a minor speed improvement by removing TiVo's most useful feature of having the 3 tuners turned on.

It's 2 months now since this software started to be rolled out and the 12+ pages of complaints here are still ignored with no official announcement from VM.

  • 12
  • 0
  • 13
Buggytivo
On our wavelength
279 Views
Message 74 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info


@kayjayr wrote:
Don't want to set a series link for them, as I don't record them, I just want to watch them in delay, fast forward through ads & then be able to switch over & rewind to the beginning of another channel.

Quite right. I have news channels all time and want to pause rewind and switch channel. Its basic TiVo function and virgin media have stolen it without warning or communication. Saying made it faster is stupid and lies. Its no quicker at all. Would be like saying turn it off and unplug it and and the bugs are fixed. But guess what I send it back now as they make it useless.

  • 2.14K
  • 153
  • 562
Superuser
Superuser
272 Views
Message 75 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info


@chops wrote:

What doesn't seem to make sense is why, after 6 years of TiVo and with it's newer V6 replacement in use, only now towards the end of its lifecycle do VM decide that they want to try and make a minor speed improvement by removing TiVo's most useful feature of having the 3 tuners turned on.

It's 2 months now since this software started to be rolled out and the 12+ pages of complaints here are still ignored with no official announcement from VM.


Whilst I agree the logic of the choice of this specific change isn't that clear, the V6 has been out for a few years no and the TiVo is pretty aged - much like an old PC it is struggling under the weight of the current functionality.

Once I had one of my 2 TiVos changed for a V6 I really couldn't cope with the frustration of the speed of the remaining TiVo in comparison to the lightning-quick V6, so I got that 2nd TiVo swapped too.

I think VM did say why they did this - not easy for me to check now on my phone as I type this, but the ModTeam posted earlier in this thread didn't they? -  VM said it was to try to speed up the old TiVos; presumably because they were lots of posts in here, and calls to the support line, complaining about how slow the boxes were!

Whether disabling the buffering was the right solution to the problem is debatable (e.g. people annoyed by that vs. people annoyed by a slow box), and whether the change actually made much difference to the speed I don't know - but perhaps within the constraints of the old hardware and feasibility of software mods this was all they could do?

Having it as user selectable might have been an idea though - i.e. let the user choose between 3xBuffering or a (marginal) speed increase. (If the user really doesn't want the smaller, faster V6 with its 6 buffers!)

Keith

Superuser1718.png

  • 771
  • 17
  • 125
chops
Rising star
263 Views
Message 76 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info


@Buggytivo wrote:

@kayjayr wrote:
Don't want to set a series link for them, as I don't record them, I just want to watch them in delay, fast forward through ads & then be able to switch over & rewind to the beginning of another channel.

Quite right. I have news channels all time and want to pause rewind and switch channel. Its basic TiVo function and virgin media have stolen it without warning or communication. Saying made it faster is stupid and lies. Its no quicker at all. Would be like saying turn it off and unplug it and and the bugs are fixed. But guess what I send it back now as they make it useless.


Exactly - it was the convenience and quick access to view the previous hour continually on 3 different channels. Since the bad update it would require 3 TiVo machines to achieve the same function. Setting up series links or recording programmes individually is a very poor workaround to try and achieve the same.

 

  • 771
  • 17
  • 125
chops
Rising star
253 Views
Message 77 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info


@keithse wrote:

@chops wrote:

What doesn't seem to make sense is why, after 6 years of TiVo and with it's newer V6 replacement in use, only now towards the end of its lifecycle do VM decide that they want to try and make a minor speed improvement by removing TiVo's most useful feature of having the 3 tuners turned on.

It's 2 months now since this software started to be rolled out and the 12+ pages of complaints here are still ignored with no official announcement from VM.


Whilst I agree the logic of the choice of this specific change isn't that clear, the V6 has been out for a few years no and the TiVo is pretty aged - much like an old PC it is struggling under the weight of the current functionality.

Once I had one of my 2 TiVos changed for a V6 I really couldn't cope with the frustration of the speed of the remaining TiVo in comparison to the lightning-quick V6, so I got that 2nd TiVo swapped too.

I think VM did say why they did this - not easy for me to check now on my phone as I type this, but the ModTeam posted earlier in this thread didn't they? -  VM said it was to try to speed up the old TiVos; presumably because they were lots of posts in here, and calls to the support line, complaining about how slow the boxes were!

Whether disabling the buffering was the right solution to the problem is debatable (e.g. people annoyed by that vs. people annoyed by a slow box), and whether the change actually made much difference to the speed I don't know - but perhaps within the constraints of the old hardware and feasibility of software mods this was all they could do?

Having it as user selectable might have been an idea though - i.e. let the user choose between 3xBuffering or a (marginal) speed increase. (If the user really doesn't want the smaller, faster V6 with its 6 buffers!)

Keith


Correct but it has had a negligible effect on speed. Similar to removing passenger seats in a car to improve speed but ignoring the consequences !!

  • 143
  • 2
  • 37
carnivalist
Superfast
232 Views
Message 78 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info

Don't forget how useful it was if you changed a delayed channel by accident - I couldn't find my remote the other night and accidentally sat on it while looking, thereby changing the channel. I used "last channel" to switch back thinking "no problem, I'll just rewind to the point I left" as I'd done many times before - only to then realise that thank to this pathetic update I could no longer do that.

  • 143
  • 2
  • 37
carnivalist
Superfast
231 Views
Message 79 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info

What if you don't have space to record all three links?

  • 2.14K
  • 153
  • 562
Superuser
Superuser
226 Views
Message 80 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info


@carnivalist wrote:

T


@keithse wrote:

@Pamela-- wrote:

Yes, but we lose our recorded programmes- this has happened to me twice before. Won't have tivo box back if they want to replace it! Will find a way to save some of the recordings (I can do this with Panasonic recorder again) 


But if you leave VM then you'll lose your recordings as well!   Unless you've archived them off to your Panasonic (which you're not really meant to do), in which case you could change to a V6 because you'd have saved your recordings!

You can also keep your old TiVo alongside the V6 for a little while (for a small charge) and then watch the older recordings from it before returning it.

Keith


The charge is £9 plus £100 if they won't remove the installation fee. That is not a small charge if you are on a low income. Getting a second box will trigger a new contract, so you have to keep both boxes for a year, which means at least an extra £108 = £208 if you're unlucky.

Add to that the cost of a new TV if you don't already have a 2nd one. Kind of pointless having both boxes connected to the same TV.


Whilst I agree the install cost for a V6 could be prohibitive if the customer can't negotiate it down, I was suggesting that the "2nd box" charge isn't for a month or two while the recordings still on it are watched and cleared, then the TiVo could be returned to VM and the contract revert to single box only (V6).

There is no need for a 2nd TV as the recordings can be streamed from the TiVo to the V6 and hence the TiVo doesn't need a TV connected for the remaining recordings to be watched.

You would not have to keep both boxes for a year (but would probably have to have a 12 month contract for the V6 if you got it installed  cheaply).

I"m just trying to help with suggestions of what people may be able to do, but each person has to negotiate their own deal and accept what ever cost & contract length they are happy with.

Keith

Superuser1718.png

0 Kudos
Reply