Superuser
Superuser
Message 91 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info

@chops wrote:

@keithse wrote:

@carnivalist wrote:

This is my major gripe with VM. So often they implement a change that leads to stress and frustration - or fail to implement a change which has much the same infuriating effects. Why dpn't they plan things better? Even - god forbid - canvass customer opinion about proposed changes?

Again, good points, but it's entirely possible they DID canvas customer opinion!  We just weren't necessarily on that panel of people canvassed, and for all we know that panel came out in favour of the change!

Everyone complaining on this thread, by its very nature, is bound to be against the change and have previously made use of the 3 buffer functionality, but i'm afraid that doesn't mean it is representative of the whole customer base.

This is a support forum and so is going to end up being "populated" by a higher percentage of people that are unhappy with the service/changes/prices/performance than the percentage of people that are unhappy when the whole set of customers is accounted for.  Much like the unhappy Sky, BT, etc. customers on their respective support forums.

Keith

It's also entirely possible and probably more likely that they DIDN'T canvas customer opinion or consider the consequences this change would cause to users. It seems that  the roll out is being spread over several months and as this continues the complaints will increase so we don't know if the number of complaints so far is only a fraction of what's to come. Also we don't know how many calls are being made to the call handlers in India about this.

Remember that for every one customer who bothers to complain they will be10X more who don't but move their custom elsewhere.

Yes, your points are valid (although the "10x more leave" estimate seems a bit high so I don't know if there is a statistical basis or report that indicates that number?), but in any case your points effectively back up my points!

There are always two (or more) sides to everything; not all data (past, current or future) is available to us, there will be some who hate this and leave, some who complain (via the various avenues), some who don't complain, some who don't care, some who don't notice, some who are happy with a teeny-weeny speed increase, some who upgrade to a V6, etc., etc. - this forum does not have an equal sample of people from all those groups!

Ultimately it's very doubtful VM will back out the change no matter what's said here, on the phone, or in letters - like most big companies in this sector they expect some "churn" of customers and they will likely lose some due to this.  But at the same time they'll pick up some of the disgruntled customers who are right at this moment on the Sky, BT, etc. forums saying they're going to leave them.

That, unfortunately is the way of the world.

Keith

Superuser1718.png

Olly
Fibre optic
Message 92 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@chops wrote:

Sure there are workarounds to replace the missing feature of having the 3 tuners continually automatically recording 3 different channels, however they are a lot less convenient to use and require many more button presses to achieve something similar. Previously it was so easy to channel hop between the 3 tuners and where there were programme clashes quickly catch up one hour later without having to deliberately pre-record anything.

As stated previously, this change is a bit late in the day to try and speed up the sluggish TiVo and will result in more customer complaints as the roll-out of the software continues.

I just discovered I could no longer access my tuners tonight when I went to put on ITV + 1 in case I ran out of my pause time on itv. .no R button to pop +1 on another tuner. .  haven't read all this thread as only just found it but from the above quote I can see it seems it has been done on purpsoe?  Why?

Is this permanent? am fuming, guy in tech said never even knew of the info button thing and I'd taught him something, and is sending an engineer.

Overseas call centre, who I got first, didn't even know what I was talking about. Got thru to Uk in the end. .Someone needs to tell the tech people about #1 the info button R option and #2 that it has been removed and tuners are not tuned unelss live or recording..

Is there any chance this will come back it's really annoying. .I place a load of different stuff on the tuners cos I watch one thing then have paused another channel with something on at the same time which may overrun and watch that afterwards. .I don't have a large enough space to add series links to record stuff and it's handy to be able to rewind if I've missed the start of something I am watching 'live'

not a happy bunny.. VM change it back . pronto ..  purleeeease ... !!!!!!

MrsE34
On our wavelength
Message 93 of 142
Flag for a moderator

This is why I wrote to them rather than phone, going on previous comments, it sounds like the people at the call centre don't know a lot.

Olly
Fibre optic
Message 94 of 142
Flag for a moderator

How is this marked as resolved? The Tivo has been downgraded effectively to only one tuner for 'live' TV..

I had to record Andrew Marr this morning, went to watch it from my shows, having put C4 + 1 on the live tuner and paused that so I could pick up Sunday brunch after watching Andrew Marr and rewind it to the start. So I've watched the former from my shows then I go to 'live' tuner to rewind but nothing in the buffer so I missed first part of show..  basically it looks like the additional tuners only work if you are recording so you can't tuner hop 'live' TV grrrrrr

anyone got any work around that actually works. .?

tend to only use the tuner hopping early evening and weekends before my main series links kick in around 9 when all tuners are full recording my other regular series links and I am watching stuff in 'My Shows' ..

Sorry this thread had already been going a while when my Tivo got 'updated' so too much to read thru to see if anyone has an answer.

Needless to say I am bloom in livid with this.. have a freeview box as a back up but why should I need to go there if I am paying for a service that is no longer offered. .i.e. 3 fully buffered tuners..  someone said this was to speed things up, but everything on the tivo has slowed down. .TV guide takes forever to load. .

japitts
Knows their stuff
Message 95 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@Olly wrote:

Yes, set any programs you want to watch timeshifted, to record. You can then watch them hours, days, weeks or even months later.

@Olly wrote:

Needless to say I am bloom in livid with this.. have a freeview box as a back up but why should I need to go there if I am paying for a service that is no longer offered. .i.e. 3 fully buffered tuners..  someone said this was to speed things up, but everything on the tivo has slowed down. .TV guide takes forever to load. .

Did Virgin ever advertise 3 fully buffered tuners and/or charge you for it? Every bit of marketing I've ever seen, advertises the ability to record 3 shows at once. That's not been taken away, and works as well as ever.

Don't get me wrong, I was as annoyed as many when I first read about this change, I also used the tuner-swapping feature quite often and would certainly like to have seen the feature made optional - especially since it's still on the V6 and it seems to have been pretty poorly communicated to CS staff. But it's not as if the tuners have been switched off or the recording functions of the box removed or restricted.

I would be quite interested in knowing whether the equivalent Sky boxes ever had or have this feature.

0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 96 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

@Olly wrote:

@japitts wrote:

Yes, set any programs you want to watch timeshifted, to record. You can then watch them hours, days, weeks or even months later.

Yeah because that works so well when the TV guide is not dynamic and you miss the beginning or the end of things unless you faff around even more and set to record longer or start earlier and all because you want to time shift something for maybe half an hour!.. Smiley Happy

@Olly wrote:

@japitts wrote:

Did Virgin ever advertise 3 fully buffered tuners and/or charge you for it? Every bit of marketing I've ever seen, advertises the ability to record 3 shows at once. That's not been taken away, and works as well as ever.

Don't get me wrong, I was as annoyed as many when I first read about this change, I also used the tuner-swapping feature quite often and would certainly like to have seen the feature made optional - especially since it's still on the V6 and it seems to have been pretty poorly communicated to CS staff. But it's not as if the tuners have been switched off or the recording functions of the box removed or restricted.

I would be quite interested in knowing whether the equivalent Sky boxes ever had or have this feature.

Tbh I can't recall I just knew the ability to swap between tuners was always there and always talked about so 3 tuners buffering seemed to me to be part of the package. It's doesn't explain why the one remaining live tuner stops buffering if you watch something that has been recorded hoping to rewind on the buffered tuner to catch something from earlier. . all this you have to set recordings for every single thing more or less is a pain. I tended to use this early evening and later go to watch stuff in my shows, usually all 3 tuners are recording other stuff by then so wouldn't be accessing those at that time. funny thing is the tech guy actually said there are 6 tuners in the Tivo the 3 hidden ones are for different things of a techy nature Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
kayjayr
On our wavelength
Message 97 of 142
Flag for a moderator

I don't know how the other options when you press right navigation button are used more than the 3 tuner one also 2 of them Record & Subtitles have buttons on the remote so there's no need to have those there anyway. Audio Description can be set through Settings/Audio etc & the Audio Track must rarely be used as well as mine always seems to say English & no alternative audio track available. I like many others on here don't want to upgrade to a V6 mainly because of the extra cost but in my case I live alone so there's only me to set recordings etc so 3 tuners is plenty for me, I don't need 6 cos there's more +1 channels now anyway. Friday I paused ITV when Corrie had finished & set Eastenders to record & watch it through My Shows but when I went back to ITV it was no longer in paused & I couldn't rewind either to the beginning of the 2nd Corrie episode.
kayjayr
On our wavelength
Message 98 of 142
Flag for a moderator

No difference in speed since I lost the access to 3 tuners so pointless to do it. In fact mine has frozen since the software update which it hadn't before the update. Why weren't we consulted & asked which we used more often out of the 5 options [2 of which are on the remote Record & Subtitles]. They bang on how we can delay/rewind live TV & have access to 3 tuners, but now they've taken that option away from us.
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 99 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@kayjayr wrote:
I don't know how the other options when you press right navigation button are used more than the 3 tuner one also 2 of them Record & Subtitles have buttons on the remote so there's no need to have those there anyway. Audio Description can be set through Settings/Audio etc & the Audio Track must rarely be used as well as mine always seems to say English & no alternative audio track available. I like many others on here don't want to upgrade to a V6 mainly because of the extra cost but in my case I live alone so there's only me to set recordings etc so 3 tuners is plenty for me, I don't need 6 cos there's more +1 channels now anyway. Friday I paused ITV when Corrie had finished & set Eastenders to record & watch it through My Shows but when I went back to ITV it was no longer in paused & I couldn't rewind either to the beginning of the 2nd Corrie episode.

I had the same happen yesterday, recorded Andrew Marr [first time ever that I've had to do that!]  left the 'live' tuner paused on C4 + 1 as I wanted to pick up Sunday brunch after watching the Andrew Marr show so would have to rewind half an hour. .went back to 'live' tuner, zilch in the buffer. . yet I'd read somewhere in here that was a work around. .well it isn't.. grrr

My Tivo is also running slowly too. .TV guide took forever to load..  I too don't want to upgrade cos of costs but could do with more storage as only have 500 tivo... ... and who's to say they won't do the same on the V6. .it's so annoying when you use a facility for a very long time and then it is vanished without even letting you know..

I  already record series I watch about 2-3 months later but I used the tuners to timeshift stuff in the day time not to save stuff to view ages later just to have the TV on for background noise in the day or to catch a few things each day I want to half or fully watch .. Or stuff I may miss like the news or something like that.. ..

kayjayr
On our wavelength
Message 100 of 142
Flag for a moderator

I never recorded Soaps before as there was no need as I could just flick between tuners & if I missed the beginning I'd just rewind but can't do that anymore so I'm having to wait & then go into Catch Up just to watch the beginning & then when I go back I've lost the ability to rewind again as I've been in catch up/on demand. Also from tomorrow BBC 1 & 2 HD channels are moving up to the SD channel numbers 101 & 102 so they're now forcing us to record HD channels which take up 4 times [I think] as much storage as SD channels, so another way to force us to upgrade to a V6 box.