cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo remote to control soundbar

Nigel_11
Tuning in

Hi 

I have just bought a new Sharp Aquos TV and successfully paired my Tivo remote to control the TV (except Mute - a known problem). I'm trying to get the remote to control my Panasonic home theatre / soundbar. When in programming mode I can't enter 4 digits either from the list or scanning. The 4th digit starts to change the channel on Tivo. 

Any help much appreciated.

Nigel 

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Nigel,

Hopefully one of the two suggestions below will work for you.

Please try the following which I found the following from an old forum post.

1. Make sure the AV device and your TiVo box are switched on
  2. Press and hold down Clear and Volume Down at the same time until the light on top of the remote flashes green twice
  3. Enter the code 1999 to access the AV device code database – the LED will flash green twice
  4. Point the remote at the AV device and press channel up repeatedly until a code mutes the volume for the device – the LED will flash green each time a code is sent
  5. When the volume turns off, press Mute to turn the volume back on
  6. Press Volume Up / Down and Mute to check that the remote is working with your device. If it doesn’t work, continue to search using Channel Up until the next code turns off the volume, and repeat steps 5 and 6
  7. When the Volume and Mute keys work, press OK to store the code. The LED will then flash green twice

If you reach the end of the code database, the light on top of the remote will give an extended red flash and exit programming mode.

NOTE: If you think you’ve missed the code for the AV device, you can work backwards through the code database by pressing the channel down button at any time.

There is also the following:-

I also found 4 codes for a Panasonic in the  /audio_remote_code_list.pdf 

1195 1223 1237 1250 1251

Press and hold down Clear and press Volume Up at the same time, until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice

Enter the four digit code from the list. The LED should then flash green twice. This shows you’ve entered a valid code

Press Volume Up / Down and Mute to check that the remote is working. If not, repeat the steps above using a different code for your AV device from the list

The remote can only store one device code type at a time. This means that you can’t control two AV devices at the same time.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi  Dave 

I have had a go, but 24hrs later I will have another go...I'm sure it's mostly a user problem!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Nigel 

Hi Dave 

Sorry not working at all. I can't even get into programming mode.... CLR+VOL UP and type  in 1999....at the 2nd 9 it flips out and tries to change channel....

Any ideas?

Hi Nigel 

Is your soundbar connected to the TV physically (optical etc) ...

If it's a wireless connection, and you have turned the sound via your TV speakers off, in favour of soundbar only output, the remote 'should' be able to alter the volume once the remote is paired to the TV, or is it that pairing you're having issues with?.

🤞

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Hi  Steve 

It's connected by a High Speed HDMI cable using the HDMI ARC connection.....soundbar to TV

I've tried again, but CLR+VOL DOWN produces 2 green flashes on the remote and as I type in 1999, the 2nd 9 starts to change the channel....bizarre. It worked perfectly until  I changed my TV from a Panasonic to Sharp. This must be the problem 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hmm can you try clear and volume down instead? You never know.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi  Dave and Steve 

It seems that the problem was that the Sharp TV has a System setting to enable ARC HDMI!

I've had to reset my Tivo remote as well as turning on ARC on the TV.

All sorted.

Thanks 

👍

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for teh update.

Pleased to see it's all sorted now, well done.

Stay safe and take care.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.