Menu
Alci07
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box

So a while back I was upgraded to one of these V6 boxes. At the time I had a TiVo box in my living room and one of the old virgin boxes up in the bedroom.

as I had to send the old virgin box back I installed the v6 box into the living room and moved the TiVo box up to the bedroom but after a while the TiVo box stopped loading the channels.

i think I worked out this was due to not having an ethernet connection upstairs so to make do I swapped the boxes round, however I have now bought a 4K tv for the living room and want to watch btsport in 4K but am unable to as I have to have the TiVo box in the living room for it to work! 

Is there a way I can have the TiVo box WORKING upstairs without an Ethernet connection?

seems a shame that before the “upgrade” I had two working boxes where I wanted them but now I am being forced into where I place my boxes.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box

The TiVo box doesn't need a separate internet (ethernet/powerline) connection to work - it gets its internet connection via the Virgin coax connection.

The V6 however does need an internet connection (wifi/ethernet/powerline), as well as being connected to the Virgin coax.

If the TiVo box doesn't work upstairs then it is unlikely to be because of ethernet, it'll be something else - perhaps try swapping them over again and see if the TiVo works now, making sure the coax is in tightly?

Keith

Superuser1718.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Does theTiVo display a 7400 error? If so, the wrong box has been removed from your account.

0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds like the upstream signal is too weak at the upstairs coax outlet. The V6 will work up there because it connects to Virgin's servers over your home network instead. Swap the boxes back, ring up and report it as a fault. You should get an engineer out to address the signal issues.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
Moderator (Retired) Huw_B
Moderator (Retired)
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alci07, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums, and apologise for the delay in getting to your post. I'm also sorry to hear that your TiVo wasn't behaving as it should when you moved it upstairs. 

The guys that have replied here are bang on, the TiVo doesn't need to have an ethernet connection as it has it's own built in modem - The Ethernet on the TiVo boxes are to allow multi room streaming. 

I'd like to look into this further for you, so I'll send you a private message in order to ask a few other questions. If you look to the top right of this page you'll see a purple envelope icon, click on this and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies once more. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
angie171
Just joined
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My service won't allow me to connect to the apps everytime stating I need to contact via the ethernet cable ... I've never done in the past so why now very annoying.

0 Kudos
angie171
Just joined
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Having the same problem

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Angie171,

Thanks for using the Virgin Community to find answers regarding your TiVo® issue.

Has there been any improvement with your TV service since your post? Have you tried to reboot your box and see if that works? The TiVo® doesn't actually need an ethernet to work as it has it's own modem. Let us know so we can help further.

Regards,

Valerie_T

0 Kudos
Cutie1982
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi my sons TiVo box is not working it is stuck on the start up system any ideas what it could?any help would be appreciatedSmiley Happy thanks 

0 Kudos
Cutie1982
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

thank you for your quick reply unfortunately there has been no improvement I have switched the box off I will wait a few minutes  to turn it back on and see if it makes any difference.

0 Kudos