cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box replacement

Jassy1
Joining in

I know through researching that when my new Tivo box is installed I can not copy anything from my old box, a real PIA. I have a TV recording of my grandson as football mascot from some years ago which we will lose.

Speaking to the technical guy today who organised the replacement he said that once the new box is installed the old box will not even be able to play anything (I was hoping to keep the old one for the reason I say above). Can anyone confirm this is true?

I believe that even if I could buy a recording device (DVD ROM?) that accepts HDMI this still will not work as the data is protected by HDCP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any recordings made on any VM TV box are specific to that box, and are intended for timeshift viewing - not long-term archiving. Technically, you don't own those recordings, the broadcaster does.

Anytime your box is replaced for whatever reason, you will lose those recordings. When a new box is activated, the old box is deactivated - and that will prevent recordings from playing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any recordings made on any VM TV box are specific to that box, and are intended for timeshift viewing - not long-term archiving. Technically, you don't own those recordings, the broadcaster does.

Anytime your box is replaced for whatever reason, you will lose those recordings. When a new box is activated, the old box is deactivated - and that will prevent recordings from playing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jassy1.

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us 🙂 

I'm glad to see the Community was able to advise you on this, apologies about that. 

If you have any further queries on this, please pop another post on this thread and we'll happily assist. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide