Menu
OldieDi
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box not seeing V6 one since DOCSIS3 upgrade

Virgin upgraded our area to DOCSIS3 last week which necessitated replacing our V6 box with a new one to maintain internet connectivity. Since then, although I can see the bedroom TIVO box from the V6 box in the lounge, I cannot convince the bedroom TIVO box that it is connected to the V6. 

TIVO gives message that network cable is unplugged.  Clearly it isn't, as I can watch its recordings on the V6 box as usual.

Has anyone else had this? The boxes are connected by a single ethernet cable, and I have rebooted everything multiple times in a different order each time.

Planning to ring Virgin (wish me luck there) but hope someone else has solved the same problem already.  I suspect we will need to upgrade the TIVO to a second V6, and that Virgin will overcharge me rather than compensate me for their inability to maintain my existing service, but fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box not seeing V6 one since DOCSIS3 upgrade

Virgin has been docsis 3 for over 10 years.  I'm not sure of the area issue you describe 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

The boxes are connected with a single ethernet cable?

I hope you have not just plugged one box into the other. What you need is BOTH boxes plugged into your hub, or the TiVO by Ethernet & the V6 by WiFi.

If the boxes are connected correctly, turn everything off. Turn on the hub & let is settle (ideally until you have stable internet access). Then turn each box on in turn & give each a good 5 minutes to settle. Then try again with the interconnections & see what happens.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
OldieDi
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Maybe in your area but we have just been done so now we will be able to have VOIP which was not possible last week
0 Kudos
OldieDi
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

NOTHING has changed in our house cables except the the ethernet cable to the TIVO box is now plugged into a different router - the previous router was incompatible with the new infrastructure.  Prior to this, both boxes could play recordings from each other.  Now the V6 box can play recordings from the TIVO box and the router diagnostics displays the TIVO box as ethernet connected but the TIVO box has no access to the V6 box or 'search' or 'catch up'.

Also, have re-booted both TV boxes and router, independently, together and in all sequences including your suggestion.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@OldieDi wrote:

TIVO gives message that network cable is unplugged.  Clearly it isn't, as I can watch its recordings on the V6 box as usual..

The above message on the TiVo refers to the connection to the VM system via the coax cable to the VM cable point.  It does not refer to the Ethernet connection.  Are the cable connections tight and do you have a flashing 'online' light on the TiVo display?  The fact that you cannot get on demand would suggest that it is flashing and that the box has not established a connection back to VM.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
OldieDi
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I'm certain the TIVO box can't connect to Virgin which is why we can't use Search or catch up since the infrastructure was replaced with DOCSIS3 and our router replaced with one that was compatible. No cables have been toched apart from the connections to the new router - which works fine with the V6 box and the V6 box is connected to the TIVO box and can play recordings off it. Our TIVO box can obviously connect to VM or we wouldn't be watching television. Anyone technical from Virgin Media out there????????
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

watching tv is different from watching catchup, for catchup it needs to talk to the servers via it's built in 10 meg modem, also the tv guide is populated via the servers

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
OldieDi
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

dannylau - I know live tv is different - that is why live TV works but catchup doesn't. You haven't understood my problem (which is not that I am too stupid to have Virgin Media). My service was perfect with a V6 box and a TIVO box each playing recordings from the other - connected by an ethernet cable.

Virgin changed the infrastructure while I was on holiday and when I returned I had no broadband. They had to change my Modem (to get broadband to work with DOCSIS3 - the TV worked on the old router) and since then the TIVO box displays 'network error C130' - and suggests I go to www.virginmedia,com/help/tivo for more information - but I get 'Oh, crikey! We can't find that page' and if I search help for C130 I get '0 results'

So, the only thing that has changed is the router and the infrastructure and now my TIVO box doesn't do anything but live TV and its own recordings.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

A C130 network error shown on a TiVo box has nothing to do with the ethernet connection to the VM hub.  It is an issue with the internal modem within the TiVo communicating with the VM servers.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos